Review Detail

Kids Fiction 1779
Many will want to visit Rufus's stand
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Rufus doesn’t want to have a typical lemonade stand. Instead, he’s decided to make a story stand, giving out stories in exchange for a few small treasures.

What I Loved:
The premise of RUFUS THE WRITER is adorable. I love how creatively encouraging it is for kids. The stories Rufus writers, shared in the book, are very cute and childlike. Rufus encounters many different characters, from his little sister to different friends, at his stand, and each are lovely. His little sister’s story is especially touching since it is her birthday.

Another great element to this story is the lack of money. Rufus doesn’t start the stand to make money, nor does he ask for any from his friends. Instead, he sets up a kind of barter system, exchanging his stories for things like a seashell, a kitten, etc. The story gives value to everything, not just the standard form of currency.

The illustrations are also adorable. Rufus puts on quite the snazzy outfit when he sets up his stand, and his facial expressions are perfection. There are illustrations that accompany the stories Rufus writes as well, giving each one a distinctive flair.

What Left Me Wanting More:
As much as I love Rufus’s stories, I do wish we could see more of his own. The stories take over a significant portion of the book, and some of that time could have been used to explore a little more about the author himself.

Though most of the illustrations are wonderful, some of them are drawn at awkward angles. This is more so when a landscape is involved, instead of just the characters with a white background. Overall though, the illustrations are fabulous.

Final Verdict:
This is the perfect picture for young readers who love being creative. I know I couldn’t pass up stopping at Rufus’s stand!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
Her job is to keep their secrets safe. ...
City of the Plague God

0.0 (0)
Best-selling author Rick Riordan presents CITY OF THE PLAGUE GOD,...
The Shadow War

0.0 (0)
Inglourious Basterds meets Stranger Things in this dark and thrilling...
The Valley and the Flood

0.0 (0)
Rose Colter is almost home, but she can't go back...
Don't Tell A Soul

0.0 (0)
Stay up all night with this modern day Rebecca! Perfect...

0.0 (0)
58 Farm End: a twisted romantic crime thriller series (Book...

0.0 (0)
Beatrice Walker thought she lived in a normal world—that is...
Crying is Like the Rain: A Story of Mindfulness and Feelings

0.0 (0)
A gentle metaphor for understanding and processing anxiety and sadness....
The Brass Queen

0.0 (0)
She knows a liar when she sees one. ...
The Final Chance

0.0 (0)
Friends no matter what. At least that's what Beth Ann...
Wylder and the Almost Rockstar

0.0 (0)
How much trouble does it take to forget the boy...
Wylder and the Secret Rockstar

0.0 (0)
How much trouble does it take to forget your summer...
Nubia: Real One

0.0 (0)
Can you be a hero...if society doesn't see you as...
Mary: The Adventures of Mary Shelley's Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Granddaughter

0.0 (0)
Angsty teenager Mary Shelley is not interested in carrying on...
Cursed: The Girl Who Shook the Earth

0.0 (0)
I’m just another girl who survived foster care. Nothing special....
The Obsession

0.0 (0)
A classic sort of love story...except somebody might wind up...

Latest Member Reviews

The Project

"Lo Denham, magazine assistant and loner, is looking for her sister, Bea. Six years ago, Lo's parents died in a..."
In the Penalty Box

"IN THE PENALTY BOX is a cute YA contemporary hockey romance. Willow is a figure skater heading for the Olympics,..."
Super Fake Love Song

"Super Fake Love Song is about Sunny Dae, a Korean American teenager who is a mega-nerd trying to survive at..."
You Owe Me a Murder

" *Connor is Deaf and has implants *Alex has light brown skin..."
The Copycat

"Ali Sloane is tired of moving. She's changed schools and houses/apartments so many times that she can't claim any one..."
You Have a Match

"YOU HAVE A MATCH is a beautifully written YA contemporary about family, summer, forgiveness, and best friend crushes. Abby is..."
The Quantum Weirdness of the Almost-Kiss

"THE QUANTUM WEIRDNESS OF THE ALMOST-KISS is a delightful YA STEM-themed romance. Evie and Caleb have been BFFs since they..."
Something to Say

"Jenae prefers being quiet and blending in. She doesn't mind that it means she's alone most of the time, especially..."
The Dark Matter of Mona Starr

"Mona Starr's best friend has moved away, and she can feel her 'matter,' what she calls her depression, swirling all..."
Six Months Later

"SIX MONTHS LATER was a YA suspense/thriller that kept me hooked from the beginning. We meet Chloe, who often feels..."
Speechless

"this story is amazing! i have a project for honors english 10, and this is a great story to chose..."
Heiress Apparently (Daughters of the Dynasty, #1)

"HEIRESS APPARENTLY is a YA rom-com with deep themes that make it such an engaging and captivating read. Gemma is..."
Loveboat, Taipei

"WHAT I LOVED: Ever’s pushy parents have already gotten their way by making her apply to medical school, but..."
Super Fake Love Song

"SUPER FAKE LOVE SONG is a YA contemporary romance about siblings, feeling like an outcast, and friendship. Sunny definitely feels..."
How It All Blew Up

"Amir is an Iranian American teenager who is gay and in the closet. When another student blackmails him about his..."
Clown in a Cornfield

"When Quinn and her father move to a tiny town, she's hoping to fit in and finish high school. Kettle..."
Instant Karma

"INSTANT KARMA is an overall charming YA contemporary. Prudence is finishing tenth grade and completely fed up with her biology..."
Slingshot

"SLINGSHOT by Mercedes Helnwein is a firecracker of a debut. This YA contemporary is set inside a shoddy boarding school..."
Dating Makes Perfect

" The story: Just like her sisters before her, Winnie isn’t allowed to date in high school. With..."
Miss Meteor

"Meteor, New Mexico is the site where a meteor crashed years ago. It's also the site of the Miss Meteor..."