Review Detail

The Bad Beginning
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

After a long day I wanted to read but I wanted something light, and entertaining. I opted for a kid’s book, The Bad Beginning, thinking that if I enjoyed it I would have several more books in this series to read after days like today. I don’t know how I felt about the book. I didn’t hate it. I didn’t like it.

I didn’t have a difficult time with it because of the awful events happening to children or because Count Olaf was a horrid man. I think it was mostly because I knew that even as a child I would have been insulted by the defining every “difficult” word. I mean I was reading books like The Giver and Princess Diaries as a kindergartener because I found reading fun. I can see the appeal for certain types of kids but as a kid I wouldn’t have liked it. The story behind that is one that I think could have been great but was effectively ruined by the annoying and constant definitions.

And yet, despite giving such a low rating and finding the style of writing quite irritating, I still do want to read the second book in the series. I guess that speaks on how much I could have loved the story without its glaring flaw.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Beautiful Ones

5.0 (1)
They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites,...
Ember of Night

0.0 (0)
I am a weed. Unloved by my abusive, alcoholic...
Made in Korea

0.0 (0)
Frankly in Love meets Shark Tank in this feel-good...
Perfectly Parvin

0.0 (0)
Fourteen-year-old Iranian-American Parvin Mohammadi sets out to win the...
Havoc (Haven, #2)

0.0 (0)
For the first time in his life, Rain Ryland...
Finding Junie Kim

0.0 (0)
Junie Kim just wants to fit in. So she keeps...
Parachutes

0.0 (0)
Speak enters the world of Gossip Girl in this modern...
The Bachmann Family Secret

0.0 (0)
Jaret Bachmann travels with his family to his beloved...
Sister of the Bollywood Bride

0.0 (0)
For fans of Morgan Matson's Save the Date comes a...
Nosotros Means Us: Un cuento bilingüe

0.0 (0)
A moving bilingual ode to the unshakeable bond between a...
Awakened Are the Starry-Eyed

0.0 (0)
A new city and unexpected freedom give Andrea the fresh...
A Brutal Justice

0.0 (0)
Protect the weak. Safety for all. Power without virtue is...
A Tale of Ashes

0.0 (0)
Across the country, human teens are going missing, and all...
The Captain's Daughters

0.0 (0)
What would you do if you were abducted by aliens,...
The Hollow Inside

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Phoenix has spent much of her life drifting from...
Truth or Dare

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Summervale… One of the USA’s top vacation...

Latest Member Reviews

The Confidence Code for Girls

"The Confidence Code for Girls is an empowering read every girl should have in their arsenal. So many girls struggle..."
Things to Do Before You're 30: The Try-It Out, Get-It-Done, Live-It-Up List!

"When I heard about the book THINGS TO DO BEFORE YOU’RE 30 by Jessica Misener, I knew I had to..."
Dr. Susan's Girls-Only Weight Loss Guide

"This book gave me some really good advice about how to lose weight. It has been the only book I've..."
Memos In Little Stories

"A modern take on timeless wisdom. I went in expecting a short-story collection, and immediately had to adjust my..."
This Book Loves You

"Following only the loosest definition of the word “book,” this coffee-table styled paperback is aimed at existing fans of millionaire..."
Kid President's Guide to Being Awesome

"I was sure surprised when this book came in the mail. What a beautiful, hard cover book jam packed..."
Angelina’s Angel

"The story of Angelina and her uncle make the perfect example of what makes life really good. "Angelina’s Angel"..."
The Princess and the Ruby: An Autism Fairy Tale

"With growing prevalence of autism among children in our times, with one in every 50 children reportedly autistic, Kats’ book..."
What Do You Use to Help Your Body?: Maggie Explores the World of Disabilities

"The book shows with full-page illustrations, created by Richa Kinra, various helpful aids used by people with special needs in..."
Want to Be in a Band?

"I have been surprised by how much my little girls love this book! Written in a form directly addressing the..."
Words of Wisdom for Warriors and Stories of Encouragement

"If you're looking to get inspired and motivated, I would recommend this mini handbook. We all need a pep talk..."
The Tale of Miss Berta London

"The Tales of Miss Berta London by Jihan Latimer Nicole Sorkin, Pacific Book Review quotes, “The Tale of Miss..."

"Reader reviewed by SWC One word sums it up INSPIRATIONAL.S.Dodson did an awesome job with Teen Girls Need L.O.V.E...."

"Reader reviewed by Emmaline I have read many teen books on starting up my own business, but this book, Teens..."

"Reader reviewed by Emmaline I have read many teen books on starting up my own business, but this book, Teens..."
113 Things to Do by 13

"Reader reviewed by booty booty booty booty booty booty booty booty booty booty booty booty booty booty booty booty booty..."
Hearts On Fire

"Reader reviewed by Sevenbillion Hearts On Fire is a fabulous book to read and disgust easily. I enjoyed the stories..."
Bessie Bump Gets a New Family

"Reader reviewed by S. Stewart A must have book for any parent with young children going through the pain of..."

"Reader reviewed by Raghavan Jayaprakash, Author of " Life Blossoms Like a Rose in Thorns" Review by B.K.Walker sent to..."

"Reader reviewed by Jayan "Life Blossoms Like a Rose in Thorns" is a work of fiction about Smitha, who..."