Review Detail

This Retelling Wins The Race
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Memorable, endearing, and classroom friendly. This 29 page American Sign Language telling of the classic fable maintains the integrity and moral lesson of the original, while offering its own special touches. The font choices are clear and consistent, interspersed with variable text length and emphasized words that should effectively hold the interest of children ages 4-8.

The art style has a distinct and hand-drawn marker feel, with a high contrast use of colors. The thin paper binding may be its only real drawback, as it may require extra care on the part of its intended audience. And of course, if the DVD were to be lost or damaged, the ASL element would essentially be forfeit. But all things considered, this re-imagining would make a fine addition to any child’s budding library.

(The included DVD features a female ASL interpreter and allows for reading in Arabic, Bosnian, Cantonese, French, Haitian Creole, Mandarin, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.)
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Counting Down with You

0.0 (0)
In this sparkling and romantic YA debut, a reserved Bangladeshi...
There's No Ham in Hamburgers: Facts and Folklore About Our Favorite Foods

0.0 (0)
From hot dogs and hamburgers to ice cream and pizza,...
The Light of Days Young Readers’ Edition: The Untold Story of Women Resistance Fighters in Hitler's Ghettos

0.0 (0)
As their communities were being destroyed, groups of Jewish women...
In Deeper Waters

0.0 (0)
A young prince must rely on a mysterious stranger to...
Paint by Sticker Kids: Outer Space

0.0 (0)
Blast off into outer space with this mess-free sticker craft!...
These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)

0.0 (0)
When twin heirs are born in Tourin, their fates are...
The Mother of Monsters

0.0 (0)
Mischievous Ntombi is not at all afraid of the fearsome...
Grim, Grunt and Grizzle-Tail: A Story from Chile

0.0 (0)
Brave young Pedro faces monsters and greedy guards when he...
What Beauty There Is

0.0 (0)
What Beauty There Is is Cory Anderson's stunning YA...
Baseball Baby

0.0 (0)
This original board book series, which begins with America's favorite...
I Am Not a Penguin

0.0 (0)
This hilarious story of a pangolin with an identity crisis...
Poison Priestess (Lady Slayers, #2)

0.0 (0)
In 17th-century Paris, 19-year-old Catherine Monvoisin is a well-heeled...

Latest Member Reviews

Layoverland

"'Layoverland' by Gabby Noone, despite being about a teenager who has died, ironically creates a very inviting atmosphere for readers..."
Edgeland

"A Middle Grade fantasy with some dystopian and supernatural appeal. The island of Edgeland sits on the..."
Chasing Before (The Memory Chronicles #2)

"What I Liked: First things first, you should know that Lenore is one of my besties. I know some people..."
More Than This

"What I Liked: After finally reading Ness' The Knife of Never Letting Go a month or so ago, I was..."
Level 2 (The Memory Chronicles #1)

"First Thoughts: I wasn't sure what to excpect from this book. I thought the blurb sounded really ineresting, so..."

"When I saw the summary for Level 2 back in early December, my reaction went something like this: “Yes! I..."

"You know how sometimes you really want to like a book or just kind of expect that you will because..."

"Just to clear up the confusion, Level 2 and The Memory After are the same book. Now onto..."

"Background: Felicia is dead and reliving her life through her memories, she is not sure where in the afterlife she..."

"Level 2 has an awesome idea (as well as a brilliant, bad-ass cover). It's no secret that the afterlife genre..."

"When I got this one in the mail, I was so excited to start reading it because I had heard..."

"Originally posted at: http://perrytheplatypus1102-3daydreamer3.blogspot.com/ My Review: Rating: 3.5 0f 5 stars **I received..."

"I love afterlife stories. They all are so unique and vastly different from one another, but Level 2 by Lenore..."

"The first awesome thing about Level 2 is the world building, which is multi-faceted and complex. She reveals new layers..."