Review Detail

Stunning Adventure of Magic, Loyalty, and Strength
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Fairy tale retellings are my catnip, especially when the story incorporates multiple fairy tales. Both Rapunzel and Jack the Beanstalker take the stage in Grounded, and their story is unlike any other that I have read. The third person narrative packs all the heart, voice, and emotion that first person narratives often do and provides the reader with uncountable moments of witty, hilarious, and meaningful dialogue. There wasn’t a second after I passed the first page that I wasn’t eager to keep reading and desperately hoping the to-do lists of the day would vanish for the sake of adventure.

The quick but steady pace, delicious plot twists, and honest writing set up a heart-pounding fairy tale, but the characters, both main and secondary, are what will steal the hearts of readers. Rapunzel is beautifully flawed, unapologetically herself, and a character whose growth will quite possibly draw a few tears from time to time. She is a top-notch role model whose steadfast sincerity and loyalty will captivate both young and adult readers. Alongside her, Jack is absolutely adorable, a brave dreamer, and a fantastic friend whose own journey is full of meaning and maturing. Megan Morrison does a stunning job of crafting a villain for the story who draws compassion, uncertainty, and above all, complexity.

This invigorating story is perfect for fans of the movie Tangled, readers of fairy tales, and anyone looking for an unforgettable adventure. As one of my favorite reads ever, I can’t wait to flip through these pages again and again, soaking up the magic of Rapunzel and Jack’s journey. Grounded has addicted me to the world of Tyme, and I wish all the speed of the fairies for the next book to come along.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 2 1

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Rubicus Prophecy (The Witches of Orkney, #2)

0.0 (0)
Abigail has just started her second year at the Tarkana...
Fancy Nancy: Camp Fancy

0.0 (0)
Based on the Disney Junior TV show and inspired by...
Rules for Vanishing

0.0 (0)
In the faux-documentary style of The Blair Witch Project comes...
What Makes Us

0.0 (0)
A viral video reveals a teen’s dark family history, leaving...
Harry Potter Origami

0.0 (0)
Ever wanted to fold your own Chocolate Frogs? Or play...
By Any Means Necessary

0.0 (0)
Heart-wrenchingly honest, fans of Brandy Colbert and Nicola Yoon will...
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

0.0 (0)
Annie and Lee were just children when a brutal revolution...
Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
In 2001, audiences first met and fell in love with...
On the Come Up

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Bri wants to be one of the greatest rappers...
Spin

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Paris Secord's (aka DJ ParSec) career--and life--has come to...
Leah on the Offbeat

0.0 (0)
Leah Burke—girl-band drummer, master of deadpan, and Simon Spier’s best...
The Brightsiders

0.0 (0)
A teen rockstar has to navigate family, love, coming out,...

0.0 (0)
Could you fall in love with a robot? ...
IMG_4918.jpg

0.0 (0)
The black X of the Aramach Rebels marks the...
City of Beasts

0.0 (0)
"If you see a beast, and you have the...
The Grace Year

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
No one speaks of the grace year. It’s forbidden....

Latest Member Reviews

White Stag: A Novel (Permafrost, #1)

"WHITE STAG is a really fantastic YA fantasy that I was absolutely pulled into and found it hard to put..."
Obsidian (Lux #1)

"That's why I love paranormal romances :D"
Alienated (Alienated #1)

"I think I fell in love! Aelyx and Cara’s romance is of the slow-burn kind.... simply swoony! The..."
Stone Cold Touch (Dark Elements #2)

"This installment picks up just a few weeks after Roth has sacrificed himself at the end of White Hot Kiss...."
The Collector (Dante Walker #1)

"I have some mixed feelings. "The Collector" follows Dante in the first person- he is telling us his story. Dante..."
Anomaly (Schrodinger's Consortium #1)

"“Anomaly” was an interesting YA sci-fi/fantasy where we’re introduced to a whole other world. Josie lives with her mother and..."
Zombie Queen of Newbury High

"This book was probably the best book I have ever read. I loved the end so much I wished there..."
The Night Circus

"The Night Circus was an enchanting, mind-boggling story that enraptured me. It was confusing, lovely, frightening, elusive, all at once...."
Wicked (A Wicked Saga #1)

"I read a TON of fae fiction and A WICKED TRILOGY by Jennifer L. Armentrout is so hilarious and refershing...."
The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle #2)

"I really loved The Dream Thieves! It was a fun, magical and captivating novel. The Dream Thieves continues Gansey's,..."
House of Night: Hunted

"So the Nerd Herd is now underground and hiding away from Kalona. Aphrodite and Stevie-Rae have imprinted, Stark is an..."
House of Night: Untamed

"So this one picks up right where the other left off and don't worry if you haven't read the others..."
House of Night: Chosen

"Zoey now knows that her old mentor is not what she claims to be. She's hiding something and doing things..."
House of Night: Betrayed

"This one picks up not far where Marked left off. Zoey is now in charge of the Daughters of Darkness...."
Eerie

"if you look through my books here in goodreads, the paranormal genre does not belong here. but this book drew..."
Eerie

"Book 2 promises to just as good 8D with several new surprises ;)"
One Wish Away (Djinn Empire #1)

"One Wish Away is a magical, quick read full of action, romance, and twists. In it, we follow Marielle, a..."
Eerie

"This book captured me from the very start! I fell in love with all of the characters...I fell in love..."
Lost in Starlight

"Must-Read YA Series! "A dash of intrigue, a dollop of deceit, and a delicate love story makes Lost in Starlight..."
Sanctuary: (Shifter Chronicles Book 1)

"Sanctuary (Shifter Chronicles, #1) by Melle Amade The Story: Shae spent the entire summer without hearing a word from..."