Review Detail

Mice in New York
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

After the events of Mouseheart, the evil rat emperor Titus has been taken prisoner by Firren, and Hopper offers to take the citizens of Atlantia to the Mus encampment in order to be safe. The Mus, headed by Pinkie, don't agree. To make matters worse, exterminators enter the subway, and things are looking even more grim for the mice, especially when Zucker is killed and Firren is missing. Hopper ends up Upland, flung about like a rag, and is saved by a cat. Ace is no ordinary cat-- he relocates mice that he finds and helps them to survive. When he hears about Felina, he is interested in helping overthrown her reign of terror. Ace introduces Hopper to some of his friends, and Hopper gains some allies, such as basketball playing rodents who live in a sports arena. Hopper tries to make some peace with his past by revisiting the pet shop where things started to go badly for him, but finds other secrets about his past when the fighting comes to a head over Atlantia. Even if Felina can be neutralized, will the kingdom live in peace? Probably not, since Pup has become a psychotic threat, leaving the story open for another book.

There is a lot of battle strategy in this book, and the different factions all go through a lot of changes. I liked that not all cats were portrayed as evil; while Felina certainly was, Ace set a good example of how different animals can get along. Even better was his explanation that there is a difference between hunting mice because he is hungry, and hunting them for sport or just to torture them. A lot of the background of the prophecy is explained, as well as Titus' reasons for working with Felina. Pinkie's motivations are discussed, but the most interesting character in the next book with be Pup, who has been badly damaged by all of the various set backs he has had in his life. Brooklyn also plays a large role in this book, and the descriptions of that area are interesting.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 1

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
Two friends in the 1980's were graduating from Cosmetology School....
Twisting Minds

0.0 (0)
How can you trust your heart when you can't trust...
The Art of Holding On

0.0 (0)
Life happens, whether you’re ready or not. All you can...
Breaking Through: How Female Athletes Shattered Stereotypes in the Roaring Twenties

0.0 (0)
Award-winning author Sue Macy offers a fresh and timely account...
Outlawed

0.0 (0)
OUTLANDER meets Robin Hood. Traveling through time...
The Path We Take

0.0 (0)
He’s alone He’s tattooed He’s badly burnt ...
Half-Blood Mage

0.0 (0)
A cursed dragon hunter A half-blood mage...

0.0 (0)
If genetic engineering could guarantee you and your family perfect...
Slayer (Slayer, #1)

0.0 (0)
Into every generation a Slayer is born… ...
Magic Bound

0.0 (0)
Starting a new school is never easy and this time...
When Wishes Bleed

0.0 (0)
One Prince. One Witch. One Fate. ...
Dealing in Dreams

0.0 (0)
The Outsiders meets Mad Max: Fury Road in this fast-paced...
Girls With Sharp Sticks (Girls With Sharp Sticks, #1)

0.0 (0)
Some of the prettiest flowers have the sharpest thorns. ...

0.0 (0)
Young Trib follows orders and fights. The Puritanics are...
Fae Hunter

0.0 (0)
Can one mortal take on all of Faerieland? ...
Rising

0.0 (0)
Four tests. Seven days. Nine teens. ...

Latest Member Reviews

Kingdom Cold

"What I loved: First and foremost, the characters. Princess Charlotte's fierce, unyielding manner. The way her character is left..."
Sword and Pen (Great Library Book, #5)

"Isn't great to finish a series and feel satisfied? Sword and Pen by Rachel Caine is the final book in..."
Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons #1)

"I snapped this one up because I love Wonder Woman, and I much appreciated Leigh Bardugo's adept writing in Six..."
Breaking Through: How Female Athletes Shattered Stereotypes in the Roaring Twenties

"One hundred years ago. When I was growing up, this seemed like an impossibly long time in the past. The..."
Scarred

"Emotionally, I mean. What I loved: As you can guess from the title,..."
The Path Divided

"I'm going to break out of my usual review mold here because this book was so many things. It..."
Girl at Heart

"What I loved: Just about everything. This was an adorable YA Contemporary Romance with a surprisingly well-rounded..."
Skin Hunter

"What I loved: The world building was perfectly illustrated without bogging down the story. Everything from the..."
Our Year in Love and Parties

"What I loved: The story was told through the unique lens of four specific events with..."
The Secret Key (Agatha Oddly)

"Agatha loves the work of Detective Hercule Poirot. He's actually her imaginary friend and she uses his work to influence..."
Jack Kerouac is Dead to Me

"JACK KEROUAC IS DEAD TO ME is Gae Polisner’s most recent YA Contemporary novel. Like in her other books, she..."
Woven in Moonlight

"Woven in Moonlight is a beautiful and lush fantasy, based on the culture and history of Bolivia. It is set..."
Julie Winsome M.D., Medical Detective Science Fiction Mysteries, Volume # 1

"Always fun to follow along with Dr. Julie Winsome Medical Detective! Great stories and I love the writing style..."
We Are All His Creatures: Tales of P. T. Barnum, the Greatest Showman

"WE ARE ALL HIS CREATURES by Deborah Noyes is a series of eleven short stories about the beloved showman, P.T...."
Jane Anonymous: A Novel

"JANE ANONYMOUS follows two timelines: one while Jane was captured for 7 months and one after she is back home...."
Finding Mr. Better-Than-You

"FINDING MR. BETTER-THAN-YOU starts off like a cheesy romantic comedy, but ends up being a lot more fulfilling light-hearted YA..."
Freaky in Fresno

"FREAKY IN FRESNO is a spin on the old novel, FREAKY FRIDAY. Ricki (nickname for Lyric) had a falling out..."
Only Mostly Devastated

"ONLY MOSTLY DEVASTATED is a charming YA contemporary romance that follows Ollie. Ollie had lived in California, until this year..."
Neffatira's First Challenge

"The descriptions are very beautiful and you can perceive the feelings of the characters to the point of empathy. ..."
Ink in the Blood (Ink in the Blood Duology #1)

"INK IN THE BLOOD is an engaging and atmospheric YA fantasy. Celia Sand was delighted when she was chosen to..."