Review Detail

A Grand Nautical Adventure
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

I read this book along with the rest in the Chronicles of Narnia back in middle school. It's amazing to realize how much my tastes have changed since then. I recall this being my least favorite of all seven books. But this time around I appreciated it from a whole new angle.

C.S. Lewis' prose is, of course, elegant in the sense that makes all his works such classics--imaginatively sweeping, interwoven with profundity and winsome characterization. Moreso than others in this series The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is a journeying adventure, with self-searching qualities encountered at every island and point of destination.

I do remember that, in my embittered youth, my primary reason for resenting this book centered entirely around Eustace--the irritatingly narcissistic tag-along cousin of the Pevensie children (though this tale is limited to Edmund and Lucy, as Peter and Susan, we learn, have essentially aged out of the Narnia experience.)

Lewis' cheeky opening line for the book says it best:

"There was a boy called Eustace Scrubb, and he almost deserved it."

I couldn't stand Eustace--and for whatever reason, I didn't want to believe he could show character growth, no matter the circumstances he might encounter. But Lewis has a tendency toward redemption, and much like Edmund's transformation in The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe, Eustace too gets his chance at a heart change. What I noticed this time around was how well Edmund apparently recalled his own past behavior, going so far as to state his former vileness surpassed even Eustace. And I realized...he was right. Yet, between the end of TLTWATW and this book, I found that I, as a reader, had completely forgiven Edmund and even came to favor him. So why not Eustace?

So ultimately, this reader experienced an attitudinal check. And really, only great books have much chance of sparking that kind of introspection.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Walrus and the Caribou

0.0 (0)
When the earth was new, words had the power to...
The Elephant's Umbrella

0.0 (0)
Elephant is always ready and willing to share her prized...
Calvin Gets the Last Word

0.0 (0)
The dictionary as narrator? YES! ...
Goblin King (Permafrost, #2)

0.0 (0)
In Kara Barbieri's Goblin King, the stunning sequel in the...
Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)

0.0 (0)
Morrigan battles a new evil as a strange, frightening illness...
The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)

0.0 (0)
*AN INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER* From New York...
Earth-Shattering Events: Volcanoes, earthquakes, cyclones, tsunamis and other natural disasters

0.0 (0)
An atlas of the most extreme meteorological and geological disasters...
Among the Beasts and Briars

0.0 (0)
Ashley Poston, acclaimed author of Heart of Iron, returns...
Gut Garden: A journey into the wonderful world of your microbiome

0.0 (0)
A journey into the wonderful world of your microbiome! Within...
ICK! Delightfully Disgusting Animal Dinners, Dwellings, and Defenses

0.0 (0)
Animals--they're cute and fluffy, cuddly and puffy, and ... sometimes...
Dinosaurs Are Not Extinct: Real Facts About Real Dinosaurs

0.0 (0)
Award-winning author-illustrator Drew Sheneman brings budding paleontologists the truth about...
The Camelot Betrayal

0.0 (0)
The second book in a new fantasy trilogy from New...
Soulswift

0.0 (0)
A dark, epic fantasy about a girl who must rethink...
Goblin King

0.0 (0)
In Kara Barbieri's Goblin King, the stunning sequel in the...
Beautiful Wild

0.0 (0)
You are invited to set sail on the maiden voyage...
Kingdom of the Wicked

0.0 (0)
From the #1 New York Times and USA Today bestselling...

Latest Member Reviews

"This was an adventure from start to finish. I love Polly and her determination to not give up. Gorgeous setting..."
The Slug Queen Chronicles

"When Cricket finds out that the dust she's seen her whole life has magical properties and her late mother could..."
Welcome to Chanu-Con!

"An adorable children's story about an important subject. The story: Max and Lila are celebrating..."
The Crystal of Gaea. Aki and the Spheres of Time #5

"Aki and Lilith are off on another exciting adventure, this time to the world of Ancient Greek mythology. This..."
The Crystal of Gaea. Aki and the Spheres of Time #5

"Another amazing adventure of Aki on the Parallel Crystal"
La Petite Josette en Provence: Going to Les Baux-de-Provence (Voyage aux Baux-de-Provence)

"'La Petite Josette En Provence' by Ashley Davidson-Fisher, illustrated by Martinique Louise Fisher, who so happens to be the author's..."
Cloud of Witnesses

"The Lifters Dave Eggers, Alfred A. Knopf, 2018 Is magic enough to fix the morass of Middle America? Are..."
Ranch Hero

"This story deals with loss, which is usually a very sensitive and difficult subject, in an uplifting and entertaining way..."
The Black and White Ball

"This is a delightful story about a very vain peacock who sets about ensuring he is the most beautiful creature..."

"Good book for middle school kids- a true snapshot of the struggle to fit in the middle school social scene..."
The Crystal of Rea Silvia. Aki and the Spheres of Time #4

"The book was just simply great! Surprises, twists and stuffs! Well I just loved Aki and his amazing adventures!..."
The Crystal of Rea Silvia. Aki and the Spheres of Time #4

"This exciting fourth adventure begins with Aki learning about a startling family secret and having to choose between telling the..."
Alicia and the Light Bulb People in Star Factory 13

"'Alicia and the Light Bulb People in Star Factory 13' by Barbara Roman, illustrated by Vladimir Cebu, is a sweet..."
Sal the Seagull Stole My Lunch

"This one is a lot of fun. Joe and Mary are getting ready to have a picnic at..."

"As a mother and tutor for young children, I highly recommend this novel to add to your children's book shelves...."
The Year Santa Stubbed His Toe

"Santa has always been there to deliver gifts to the good boys and girls around the world, but this year,..."
Alicia and the Light Bulb People in Star Factory 13

N/A
"Have you ever noticed how people are like light bulbs? They come in many sizes and shapes, varying in their..."
Felipe Femur

"While this book in occupied by a cast of monsters, it is far from scary. It is also not solely..."
The Crystal Of Atum. Aki and the Spheres of Time #3

"I am so pleased by The Crystal of Atum. I love Aki and the Spheres of Time series. This book..."
The Crystal Of Atum. Aki and the Spheres of Time #3

"This is Aki’s third trip with the Sphere of Time. As usual, he ends up nowhere near the spot where..."