Review Detail

Kids Fiction 2109
A Special Place in My Heart
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

My heart has always held a special place for book. They take you to far off places away from every day stress and pressures. I had a feeling I would fall in love with this book the moment I heard the synopsis at a New York Comic Con Panel this past October. Yes, I had a countdown on my phone to remind me exactly when the book was coming out. I even pre-ordered it that October. The wait was definitely worth it! Wexler puts it perfectly when he writes “ Books are the ocean in which magic swims… that every so often, somewhere among them, a particular word or phrase or sentence achieves a meaning that goes beyond the natural.” This is exactly what the reader feels when they open The Forbidden Library.

The Forbidden Library is a classic and captivating children’s fantasy story set in the 1930s. The main character Alice, is a young orphaned girl sent to live with an uncle she has never heard of. Once in his presence, she discovers he is a man that at times can be very kind and in the same instant very cruel. Her Uncle’s home is mysterious and dark with unknown things lurking behind each corner, and most importantly an unusual library. This library holds an almost Alice in Wonderland mystic. It has everything a fantasy fan could ask for; a dark and mysterious house, talking cats, dark every changing labyrinth, and a fantastical array of magical creatures, along with fantastic illustrations.

Django Wexler is gifted at word building and it shows in his brilliant imagination when creating Geryon’s Library and all the mystical things that can occur there. The library is magnificent and full of secrets-every book lover’s dreams. I want this world to be real. In the world of The Forbidden Library a small number of people are gifted Readers, readers with the ability to pull magic and creatures from books just by reading. There are different types of books such as prison books and portal books. Each book has their own danger lurking for the Readers.

The Forbidden Library is well paced. It’s the kind of book you unwind on rainy Saturday or outside on a sunny day. Wexler’s writing takes you on a magical journal that you wish never had to end.

Fans of Coraline and Inkheart will appreciate the similar sense of mystery and darkness with the light mix of humor. This book should not be overlooked and should be on every fantasy reader’s must read list.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Rosenhart Book I 'The Sight'

0.0 (0)
"Be the Legend, Join the Quest" The Rosenhart...
Fabric of a Generation

0.0 (0)
For one teen, life's greatest adventure isn't time travel but...
Close Calls: How Eleven US Presidents Escaped from the Brink of Death

0.0 (0)
Historians tell the stories of tragic and untimely presidential deaths,...
Imber (Book One of The Thanatos Trilogy)

0.0 (0)
The locks are failing. The...
Awesome Dog 5000 (#1)

0.0 (0)
Marty, Ralph, and Skyler might make the ultimate secret combo...
Althea Gibson: The Story of Tennis' Fleet-of-Foot Girl

0.0 (0)
Althea Gibson was the quickest, tallest, most fearless athlete in...
The Big Game

0.0 (0)
Danny Owens is dedicating his seventh-grade season to his Super...
Race to the Sun

0.0 (0)
Lately, seventh grader Nizhoni Begay has been able to detect...
Suffragette: The Battle for Equality

0.0 (0)
Imprisonment, hunger strikes, suffrajitsu — the decades-long fight for women’s...
Catherine's War

0.0 (0)
A magnificent narrative inspired by a true survival story that...
Dangerous Alliance

0.0 (0)
Lady Victoria Aston has everything she could want: an older...
Dugout: The Zombie Steals Home

0.0 (0)
Twins Stacy and Gina Cavallaro are on rival little league...
The Fountains of Silence

0.0 (0)
Madrid, 1957. Under the fascist dictatorship of General Francisco...
Dinosnores (Boynton on Board)

0.0 (0)
“Honk SHOOOOOO! Honk SHOOOOOO! . . .” ...
Good Day, Good Night

0.0 (0)
Now in a sturdy board book format, perfect for little...
TBH, This May Be TMI (TBH, #2)

0.0 (0)
Told entirely in text messages, the second book in this...

Latest Member Reviews

The Ghost in Apartment 2R

"Danny's family lives in a two bedroom apartment in Brooklyn. The family has struggled financially, with his filmmaker father doing..."
The Babysitters Coven

"What worked: This is a quirky, humorous at times paranormal where a babysitter's club is really a code name for..."
Close Calls: How Eleven US Presidents Escaped from the Brink of Death

"There was a recent Jeopardy! champion who apparently got himself up to speed on many areas of knowledge by reading..."
Roll With It

"Ellie and her mother live in Nashville; her father left when she was young and has another family. Ellie loves..."
From the Desk of Zoe Washington

"Zoe lives in Boston with her mother and stepfather. Her best friend, Trevor, lives next door, but as summer starts,..."
Race to the Sun

"Nizhoni Begay struggles a bit. She manages to embarrass herself on the basketball court, watches out for her younger brother..."
That's What Friends Do

"Sammie and David have been good friends ever since the girls in her class started avoiding Sammie because she didn't..."
Catherine's War

"Catherine is living at the Sèvres Children's Home since both of her parents were taken. It has a progessive school,..."
Speed Demon

"Tim has recently moved to town and is starting ninth grade at Hilton Prep. During gym class one day, his..."
Dangerous Alliance

"Lady Victoria 'Vicky' Aston has a good life. Her older sister is married to a charming Viscount; her family estate..."
Dugout: The Zombie Steals Home

"Gina and Stacy are twins who play for rival baseball teams. This flows off the field into intense and sometimes..."
Dinosnores (Boynton on Board)

"DINOSNORES is another absolutely charming and delightfully ridiculous board book from Sandra Boynton. Here, the dinosaurs get ready for bed,..."