Bird Featured
Kids Fiction 2222
Unique, Diversity-Filled Tale
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
What I Liked:
My experience with Bird by Crystal Chan really reaffirms my love of audiobooks. See, this is a book I NEVER would have picked up were it not for the fact that I’m powerless against a celebrity narrator. The blurb of the book really didn’t appeal to me, but Amandla Stenberg is adorable, so I had to try this book. Though it’s very much not my usual type of book, Bird by Crystal Chan really worked, particularly due to Stenberg’s performance.

The first awesome thing about Bird is that it’s very diverse. The main character, Jewel, is half Jamaican (on her father’s side) and 1/4 Mexican. The last 1/4 might have been white, but I’m not positive and it’s not as easy to check that info on audio. Jewel feels out of place because she doesn’t look like her parents or like anyone else in their Iowa town. She makes a friend named John, who is black and adopted, so he shares her sense of disconnection.

Jewel and John bond almost immediately when they meet up at a tree they both like to climb. Though their interests are different, they share an intense love of intellectual pursuits. John can tell you just about anything about space and Jewel knows all about geology; he dreams of being an astronaut and she of being a geologist. Now, I know this will probably lose some readers, because probably not many twelve-year-olds dream of geology, but I love reading about precocious genius children, so I was all over this.

Plus, Jewel’s interest in geology makes total sense. She’s lived a lonely life, neglected by her grief-stricken parents and grandfather. She’s spent a lot of time entertaining herself, and got really interested in rocks. She buries them for all her worries and unanswered questions, like the earth is absorbing her problems. Rather like Pocahontas, she believes that rocks and trees have spirits and feelings. For much of her life, nature has been her friend. Chan’s writing occasionally gets rather fanciful and poetic, using nature as a metaphor and this again really works, since this is how Jewel thinks of the world.

More than anything, though, Bird is about Jewel’s family. They don’t talk about anything and that silence about important things is choking the happiness from their lives. Jewel’s brother Bird died on the day she was born. I almost didn’t read the book because Bird is a stupid name, but it’s actually a nickname; his real name is John. All of her life, her parents and grandfather have been too busy grieving for their dead son than to notice their daughter. Her father and mother fight constantly about his belief in Jamaican spirits called duppies having lead to Bird leaping from a cliff because he believed he could fly.

Throughout the novel, Jewel really does have a coming of age. She’s at that age where she really starts to understand how flawed adults are and to understand that it’s not her fault. As she begins to confront the world around her and question the way things are, she’s able to set processes in motion to help mend her whole family. Until they really talk about everything that happened, they can’t cease living in the past. Jewel’s relationship with her grandfather, who hasn’t spoken since Bird’s death because of his feelings of guilt, is particularly touching.

Amandla Stenberg is a great casting for Jewel. Her voice sounds youthful, obviously, but also polite and sort of unassuming. This fits so well with Jewel, who has been so solitary and trying to avoid making her parents angry. Stenberg also captures really well Jewel’s thirst for knowledge and love of nature. She makes the character come alive.

The Final Verdict:
In print, I’m not sure if Bird would have worked for me, but the audiobook really worked for me. I stepped outside of my comfort zone and was rewarded.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Elysium Girls

0.0 (0)
From a lush, dazzlingly original new voice in young adult...
The Lost Legends

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
A plague. A prophecy. A centuries-long curse. All her...
In the Hall with the Knife

0.0 (0)
A murderer could be around every corner in this...
Girls With Razor Hearts

0.0 (0)
Make me a girl with a razor heart… It’s...
Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children #5)

0.0 (0)
The fifth installment in Seanan McGuire's award-winning, bestselling Wayward...
When Wishes Bleed

0.0 (0)
One Prince. One Witch. One Fate. The upheaval in...

0.0 (0)
Ali McMillian almost drowned. It wasn’t a run-of-the-mill accident either;...
Ember Queen (Ash Princess, #3)

0.0 (0)
The thrilling conclusion to the New York Times bestselling...
Moonscript

0.0 (0)
"It is said that Darkness is empty and whatever vanishes...
The Lucky Ones

0.0 (0)
For fans of Thirteen Reasons Why, This Is How It...

0.0 (0)
A captivating and utterly original fairy tale about a girl...
Meet Me at Midnight

0.0 (0)
They have a love-hate relationship with summer. ...
Sword in the Stars (Once & Future, #2)

0.0 (0)
In this epic sequel to Once & Future, to save...
11004295_10203571569113600_1962266189_n.jpg

3.8 (2)

0.0 (0)
*****Best YA Book & Author of the Year***** The...
We Unleash the Merciless Storm

0.0 (0)
Being a part of the resistance group La Voz...
The Everything I Have Lost

0.0 (0)
12-year-old Julia keeps a diary about her life growing...

Latest Member Reviews

Elysium Girls

"ELYSIUM GIRLS is an engaging YA historical fantasy/dystopian. In the 1930s, an area of Oklahoma suddenly got cut off from..."
Girls With Razor Hearts

"Now that Mena and the other girls have escaped Innovations Academy, they find their past hasn't left them. Mena vows..."
The Lucky Ones

"THE LUCKY ONES is quite an emotional ride. The book follows May and Zach in alternating first person points-of-view. May..."

"GIRL, SERPENT, THORN is a YA fairytale retelling by Melissa Bashardoust. The story follows Soraya, a princess who is cursed..."
Meet Me at Midnight

"MEET ME AT MIDNIGHT is a book that reminds readers of all the possibilities and freedom of summer vacation. We..."
Sword in the Stars (Once & Future, #2)

"SWORD IN THE STARS is a satisfying conclusion to a delightful YA fantasy retelling of King Arthur in space! Picking..."
The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)

"THE GUINEVERE DECEPTION by Kiersten White is the first book in a YA retelling of the classic Arthurian legend. Guinevere,..."
Crave

"CRAVE is a really engaging new YA fantasy/paranormal romance that follows Grace in the first person. Grace lost her parents..."
Golden Arm

"Lazarus Weathers lives in the Jet City trailer park in Seattle with his mother and half brother, Antonio. He has..."
Ember Queen (Ash Princess, #3)

"EMBER QUEEN is a great conclusion to the Ash Princess trilogy. Picking up right where book 2 left off, Theo..."
Kissing Lessons

"'Kissing Lessons' by Sophie Jordan is a well-written, entertaining story about a variety of main characters, including Hayden Vargas, Nolan..."
Lady Smoke (Ash Princess, #2)

"LADY SMOKE is every bit as addictive as the first in this engrossing trilogy. Picking up where the first book..."
The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)

"The Queen's Assassin is a fantasy romance geared toward the younger YA reader. It is told from the first person..."
Ash Princess (Ash Princess, #1)

"ASH PRINCESS is an engaging YA fantasy that takes us to the conquered land of Astrea. Theodosia's mother, the Fire..."
The Everything I Have Lost

"At age twelve, Julia starts writing in a diary. She writes about what she witnesses in her town of Juarez,..."
Sting

"STING is an intriguing YA dystopian retelling of THE COUNT OF MONTE CHRISTO. The world has been ravaged by climate..."
The Paper Girl of Paris

"The Paper Girl of Paris is written by journalist Jordyn Taylor and is set in both historical 1940’s and nowadays..."
The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)

"THE MIDNIGHT LIE is a lush and atmospheric YA fantasy. The book transports us to another world, where people are..."
Defy the Sun (The Offering Series, #2)

"DEFY THE SUN is a fantastic conclusion to this YA fantasy duology. This book picks up right where the first..."
We Unleash the Merciless Storm

"Carmen Santos cover as a La Voz soldier has been exposed. She flees back to the La Voz's headquarters, leaving..."