Storm Watcher Featured
Kids Fiction 2414
Sweet Read for Dog Lovers
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
What I Liked:
Luke Riley falls into the category of fairly average boys. He’s a bit sweeter, smarter and more nervous than the usual, but I wouldn’t say his in the realm of genius. Luke’s family has been on edge ever since his mother’s death, which has left Luke feeling guilty and his father and twin brothers snapping at him. What his family shares is a strong love of dogs, but Luke’s the odd one out again, because he doesn’t want a bloodhound like his dad and brothers have; he wants a papillon.

In order to take up the offer of the pick of the litter from a local breeder, the only way his family can afford such a well-bred dog with the loss of his mother’s salary, Luke takes a summer job working at Storm Watch, working for Willajean, a dog breeder. She raises bloodhounds, papillons and german shepherds, and Luke has to decide between choosing the puppy he wants or the puppy his dad wants him to want.

The best part for me by far was reading about Luke’s work at the breeder’s. Now, obviously, this isn’t one of those terrible puppy farms; they have a fairly small number of dogs and treat them really well. Basically, I’m a little bit sad that I don’t have a dog right now (though don’t tell my cat, Perseus), because this book made me want to hug all of the dogs. The training tips in here are also super interesting, and I really, really want to teach some dogs to play tag and hide and seek now.

Though the dogs are definitely the highlight of the book, Snyder throws in a lot of lessons about family and facing one’s fears. Luke’s family has to learn how to deal with the tragedy of their mother’s loss and to learn how to deal with one another again. Willajean and her daughters, snobby Alayna and awesome Megan, have to figure out whether they can trust the girls’ dad, who once betrayed them. Then there’s Luke, who has to deal with his phobia of storms if he ever wants a real shot at being a meteorologist, which he might want to be someday.

What Left Me Wanting More:
The one thing that I really didn’t care for was the way that Luke’s brothers are written. The twins make endless stupid jokes, which is probably true for teenage boys, but seriously I hated them. Then they have this out-of-nowhere change of heart and are magically decent. Their character arc was not solid enough for me, though I guess how much do I expect in less than two hundred pages.

The Final Verdict:
Dog lovers definitely need to read this one, and I know my childhood self would have been all over this. When I was young, my dad would have read this one with me, because we shared a love of dogs; the horse books I read with mom.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 1

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

City of Spells (Into the Crooked Place, #2)

0.0 (0)
City of Spells, the follow-up to Alexandra Christo's gritty YA...
Christmas Parade

0.0 (0)
A delightful Christmas board book filled with hilarious characters and...
Best Friend in the Whole World

0.0 (0)
Roland lives a quiet life filled with books, music, and...
Bird Show

0.0 (0)
Award-winning author-illustrator Susan Stockdale welcomes you to the Bird Show,...
Down Comes the Night

0.0 (0)
He saw the darkness in her magic. She saw...
My Book of Feelings (My World)

0.0 (0)
Inspired by the Montessori method of education this unique board...
Sweet & Bitter Magic

0.0 (0)
In this charming debut fantasy perfect for fans of Sorcery...
My High School Rebel Boyfriend

3.8 (2)

0.0 (0)
He’s a rebel with a cause… to make my...
The Castle School (for Troubled Girls)

0.0 (0)
From New York Times bestselling author Alyssa Sheinmel comes...
Dark Stars

0.0 (0)
Dorothy finds herself completely alone. Roman is dead. The...
Follow Your Arrow

0.0 (0)
For fans of Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera, this...
Daughter of Darkness

0.0 (0)
She is destined to kill a demon. He is...
The Smile Shop

0.0 (0)
Critically-acclaimed author-illustrator Satoshi Kitamura (Hat Tricks) celebrates the value of...
Stanley's Lunch Box

0.0 (0)
Everyone’s favorite hard-working hamster Stanley introduces young readers to a...
What Are Unicorns Made Of?

0.0 (0)
Have you ever wondered what unicorns are made of? Are...
Grandfather Bowhead, Tell Me a Story

0.0 (0)
Richly illustrated and lovingly told, this book is a warm...

Latest Member Reviews

Anchored

"Unlike anything I've read before. The Story: Alora is of two worlds. During her..."
The Curse of Jenny Greene

"I should start by saying The Curse of Jenny Greene is far from my normal genre preferences. I’m not usually..."
Emmie and the Tudor Queen

"This sequel resolved a lot of questions I had that weren’t answered in the first book like where did the..."
The Reclaimed Kingdom (The Syphon Series, Book 1)

"I’m a new fan of Dana Claire as I recently read “The Connection” and loved it. While I eagerly..."
Sleeping Beauty's Spindle

"Briar Rose hasn't had any easy life. After losing her parents, she's struggling to keep her siblings together as a..."
The First Holidays

"A sweet and perfect novella to go with this series. The Story: Four best..."
The Connection

"I’ll cut to the chase before I delve into a more detailed review; I loved this book! I binge-read The..."
The Parkour Club

" The Parkour Club is a rollicking good read! Bronte’s journey to find her place in the world..."
The Forgotten World (The World Apart Series Book 3)

"I don't know how this series keeps getting better, but it does. This third book is just... so much happens..."
The Tempest Sea

"This book... oof. It hurt. But if you know me at all, you know my favorite books are the kind..."
The Fractured Empire

"This book grabbed me from the very beginning, throwing me into this beautifully-crafted, intriguing new world. The plot is fast-paced..."
My High School Royal Boyfriend

"'My High School Royal Boyfriend' by Kylie Key follows new River Valley High students Blaire and Alex, as they try..."
Born at Dawn

"BORN AT DAWN is an upper YA fantasy full of adventure - the main character is half human and half..."
Born Royal

"As a girl, Vi suffered various forms of torture from her mom and she was the equivalent to a lab..."
The Lost Prince (The Nihryst Book 2)

"THE LOST PRINCE opens up where the first one left off. Ada is with Lee searching for a cure to..."
Edge of Light

"This book literally starts out with a bang as multiple meteorites strike cities across the earth at the same time,..."
The Runaway (Barrett Boys #1)

"Annie lives in a small town where everyone knows everything about each other. She is usually the subject of the..."
My High School Rebel Boyfriend

"A cute story. The story: My High School Rebel Boyfriend stars a high school senior, Harper,..."
Daughter of Darkness

"Definitely a book that's worth a read. The Story: Kenna wants to be able..."
Golden Curse (The True Story of Rapunzel)

"This beautiful story is highly enjoyable. The writing flows easily, and the characters feel relatable. The main conflict was interesting..."