Review Detail

Jessica Darling's It List by Megan McCafferty
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
Not going to lie, I was not expecting much from this book. First off, its a spin off of a very popular YA series that I haven't read yet. I barely knew much about it besides the fact that the girl's name was Jessica Darling. In other words, I was scared of all the hype.
But fortunately, I didn't really need to worry. From the very beginning this book was hilarious and super realistic. For it to be a MG I was lost in its pages. What made it even better for me was the way I could relate to it. See I'm a middle sister, and my older "sister" (she's my god sister but my mom basically adopted her) just turned 40 and I'm just 24. I only vaguely remembered my sister being around and when I was starting middle school and high school I didn't have anyone to help me either. I also have a little sister who's about to turn 18 in Oct and I feel like I missed her most pivotal years because I was away in college. This book definitely shows the real relationship between a girl and her older sister. It doesn't feel fake or over exaggerated in any way.
As you can tell by the quotes, you can see that this book is also HILARIOUS. One of the main reasons I love MG's is because they are so funny and light and fluffy. They can get me out of a funk like no other age group. And this one was no different. I laughed out loud many times and had people giving me some weird looks, but I didn't care. It was such a great story.
Overall, I was really impressed with this MG novel. The truth it held and the humorous situations were just what I needed to give me a good light and fluffy read before all the dark stuff I plan to read for Halloween! It also opened my eyes to McCafferty's writing. I will be reading the YA Jessica Darling series as soon as I can get my hands on it!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Peppermint Post

0.0 (0)
'Twas the night before Christmas, when the North Pole's Peppermint...
Stolen from the Studio (Case Closed, #2)

0.0 (0)
Lauren Magaziner’s hilarious and high-stakes middle grade series gets a...
The Wizenard Series: Season One

0.0 (0)
Reggie has never felt destined for greatness. He dreams about...
TURBO Racers: Escape Velocity

0.0 (0)
The Fast and the Furious meets Transformers in the second...
Bread Lab!

0.0 (0)
It’s a sleepy Saturday morning for most people, but not...
A Thousand No's

0.0 (0)
This empowering picture book teaches readers that even great ideas...
Ronan Boyle and the Swamp of Certain Death (Ronan Boyle, #2)

0.0 (0)
The hilarious sequel to the instant New York Times bestseller,...
Sharko and Hippo

0.0 (0)
With tongue-twisty wordplay and escalating absurdity, this is a fall-down-funny...
The Thing About Bees: A Love Letter

0.0 (0)
A LOVE POEM FROM A FATHER TO HIS TWO SONS,...
The Faithless Hawk (The Merciful Crow, #2)

0.0 (0)
Kings become outcasts and lovers become foes in The Faithless...
Zora's Zucchini

0.0 (0)
The first zucchini of a summer garden is always exciting,...
Libby Loves Science

0.0 (0)
Libby loves science! In this STEM-themed picture book, a companion...
The Hidden Rainbow

0.0 (0)
All the colors of the rainbow are hidden in the...
The Places We Sleep

0.0 (0)
A family divided, a country going to war, and a...
Chasing Starlight

0.0 (0)
Movies, mansions, and murder in the Golden Age of Hollywood!...
Crossing Lines

0.0 (0)
Midwestern high school seniors and swim teammates Alli and Brandon...

Latest Member Reviews

Harry Potter Origami

"Scholastic Inc brings origami and Harry Potter together in this book with fifteen foldable crafts! Each one has a different..."
Kindergarten Big Skills Workbook: Sorting for Stem

"'Sorting for STEM Big Skills Workbook' deals with core concepts. Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics are the focus in this..."
Math Practice; Extra Big Skills Workbook

"'Math Practice Extra Big Skills Workbook' has a large variety of fun activities to help students build their math knowledge...."
Kindergarten Skills Workbook: Handwriting

"'Handwriting Skills Workbook' does a great job of informing students and parents alike about the importance of focusing on how..."
Learning Mats: Match, Trace & Write Numbers

"MATCH TRACE & WRITE NUMBERS introduces and helps build math skills at an early age. It's teaches them counting, simple..."
Pre-K Extra Big Skills Workbook: Ready for Reading (Scholastic Early Learners)

"READY FOR READING is a great way to introduce reading to your preschooler. The tasks start off simple like finding..."
Kindergarten Skills Workbook: Counting to 100

"'Counting to 100,' a Scholastic workbook meant for kindergarten preparation, does a fine job of engaging young children and making..."
Lost in the Antarctic: The Doomed Voyage of the Endurance

"LOST IN THE ANTARCTIC takes you on the doomed, yet brave journey of the ship called the Endurance and its..."
Horses: The Definitive Catalog of Horse and Pony Breeds

"Horses: The Definitive Catalog of Horse and Pony Breeds is a stunning book that any horse lover will want to..."
Who Would Win?: Battle Royale

"WHO WOULD WIN?: BATTLE ROYALE includes five books in one. It has the Killer Whale vs. the Great White Shark,..."
LEGO POP-UP

"A masterpiece of folded paper engineering, loaded with a wealth of interesting LEGO history and facts. From its..."
LEGO Knights & Castles

"LEGO continues its tried and true tactic of combining real world pictures and period art with their cell-shaded cartoon figures,..."
LEGO Planets: A LEGO Adventure In The Real World

"In this informative introductory guide, LEGO borrows heavily from NASA images and taps a comic-style to walk kids through our..."
Cecil's Pride

"Most of us have heard the story of the tragic death of Cecil, a lion that was killed just last..."
Pokemon: Kalos Essential Activity Book

"Have you ever wanted to be the very best? Determined to catch 'em all and become a Pokemon Master? Then..."
Who Would Win? Tyrannosaurus Rex vs. Velociraptor

"Books that are fun to read, as well as educational for young readers, are the best things since free wi-fi...."
Playful Pets: Woof

"Playful Pets: Woof, is exactly what you’d expect from a book with the word “woof “ in it: Complete..."
Two Friends: Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglass

"A simple, visually engrossing introduction to the concept of equality. Two champions of human rights meet for tea. The..."
The Marvelous Book of Magical Horses

"Easy to punch out, this paper-doll style book has horses, fairies, and outfits galore for your child (and you!) to..."