Review Detail

Doll Bones FeaturedHot
Kids Fiction 4509
Undeniably Creepy Yet Tear-Jerkingly Heartwarming
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Each time I went to my Great Grandma Lucy’s house, I never dared go into the guest room. That’s where her collection of dolls stared at you so intently it looked like they could climb right into your soul. After reading Holly Black’s marvelously creepy “Doll Bones,” I think it was best I stayed out of that room.

“Doll Bones” follows Zach, Alice, and Poppy, three BFFs who’ve bonded over their very imaginative afterschool games. The story begins with Zach’s dad telling the boy it’s time to grow up and hang around with guys his own age. Some spooky powers-that-be have different ideas, however. Poppy is visited by a ghost inhabiting one of her mother’s dolls, and this supernatural visitor puts the three kids together on a spectral road trip that will have to delay the cease-and-desist date for the children’s adventures.

I was really impressed by Black’s ability to make this book feel so realistic and contemporary while simultaneously maintaining an otherworldly tone. Zach, Poppy, and Alice are so relatable in their move from tweendom to their teen years, as they worry about popularity, the opposite sex, and the stresses of growing up. Imagine dealing with all of that while having a ghost demand you do her a favor! Despite having no supernatural experience of my own to back this up, it felt like Black accurately captures how this paranormal problem would affect those coming-of-age struggles.

What I loved most about “Doll Bones” is that this story is so much more than what it appears. On the surface, this is a story about a group of kids who are being haunted by a ghost. As the story unfolds, you see it’s really about the hardships haunting these children’s lives. While Zach, Poppy, and Alice confront the challenge this ghost has presented, they also confront the ghosts in their own lives, giving this book the best mix of undeniably creepy and tear-jerkingly heartwarming moments. The sudden shift between these conflicting emotions keeps you on your toes and turning the pages. Once you turn that last page, “Doll Bones” will haunt you in the best way!
Good Points
The perfect blend between creepy and touching.
Relatable protagonists moving from their tween to teen years.
A supernatural twist to the coming-of-age story.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
September 01, 2013
I think I read a negative review for this one a while ago, so I'd kind of written it off. I'm glad to see a glowing review for it since I love middle grade and all the better if it's creepy. :D
1 results - showing 1 - 1
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Cold-Blooded Myrtle (Myrtle Hardcastle #3)

0.0 (0)
Myrtle Hardcastle—twelve-year-old Young Lady of Quality and Victorian amateur detective—is...
How to Get Away with Myrtle (Myrtle Hardcastle #2)

0.0 (0)
Myrtle Hardcastle has no desire to go on a relaxing...
Playing the Cards Your Dealt

0.0 (0)
Ten-year-old Anthony Joplin has made it to double digits! Which...
Kyle's Little Sister

0.0 (0)
My name is Grace, not "Kyle's little sister!" ...
Ground Zero

0.0 (0)
In time for the twentieth anniversary of 9/11, master storyteller...
Final Season

0.0 (0)
From New York Times bestselling author and former NFL player...
Sunny Makes a Splash (Sunny #4)

0.0 (0)
The latest in the New York Times bestselling Sunny series...
The Magical Reality of Nadia (The Magical Reality of Nadia #1)

0.0 (0)
Inspired by the author's real life experiences, this rollicking, charming...
What Adults Don’t Know About Architecture: Inspiring young minds to build a more beautiful world

0.0 (0)
Children are rarely introduced properly to architecture, but there are...
The Curse of the Crystal Cavern (The Pathfinders Society #2)

0.0 (0)
Fresh from their hair-raising adventures in The Mystery of the...
The Mystery of the Moon Tower (The Pathfinders Society)

0.0 (0)
Kyle is a new kid in town who likes to...
Fresh

0.0 (0)
A hilarious and vulnerable coming-of-age story about the thrilling...
Sting Magic

0.0 (0)
She has the wrong kind of magic but the...
Poison Ivy: Thorns

0.0 (0)
There's something unusual about Pamela Isley--the girl who hides...
The Dead and the Dark

0.0 (0)
Courtney Gould’s thrilling YA debut The Dead and the...
The Great Destroyers

0.0 (0)
Blood, sweat, and death. Welcome to the Pax Games....

Latest Member Reviews

Final Season

"Ben Redd enjoys playing football with his 6th grade friends, especially Tuna, even though sometimes the way they act worries..."
The Curse of the Crystal Cavern (The Pathfinders Society #2)

"Kyle has settled in to life at Windrose with the help of camp mates and friends Vic, Beth, Harry, and..."
The Mystery of the Moon Tower (The Pathfinders Society)

"Kyle and his mother move back to Windrose, where his mother was raised, and she sends him to Merriweather's camp..."
Hi-Five Farm!

"HI-FIVE FARM! is an adorable board book adventure with opposites and hi-fives aplenty. The book features many barnyard animals offering..."
Sugar and Spite

"Jolina and her family have moved from Manila to the small island of Isla Pag-Ibig. After the death of her..."
Fearless

"Monica Garcia is thrilled to get an understudy role on Broadway. At 12, this is the first time she will..."
Paradise on Fire

"Addy lives in the Bronx with her grandmother, Bibi, who has moved from Nigeria to care for her after the..."
Tell No Tales: Pirates of the Southern Seas

"TELL NO TALES is a graphic novel that features Anne Bonny and her tale of pirating. She has an amazing..."
Into Darkness (Stuffed, Book 2) (Stuffed, 2)

"STUFFED INTO DARKNESS features Clark who is so excited to go to camp, where the Stuffies protect them from monsters...."
If You Go Down to the Woods Today (Brown Bear Wood)

"IF YOU GO DOWN TO THE WOODS TODAY has a poem on each page which opens up to the items..."
Bunny Will Not Jump!: Ready-to-Read Level 1

"Bear wants nothing more than for Bunny to jump, but he won't do it. Bunny doesn't want to jump and..."
Milo's Christmas Parade

"MILO'S CHRISTMAS PARADE features a little opossum who wants nothing more than to join the Christmas parade. For this reason,..."