Review Detail

This Book is All Good, No Evil
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

It only makes sense that fairytale princes, princesses, and villains need to learn how to be so heroic, dainty, or downright evil. I mean let’s face it, Rapunzel didn’t have her own version of “Rapunzel” to learn from, so they had to learn somewhere. Soman Chainani has given me the answer with “The School for Good and Evil,” which houses teens who have high hopes of becoming the fairest princesses in the land and the evilest witches in the woods.

“The School for Good and Evil” follows Sophie and Agatha, two normal girls who have been kidnapped from their sleepy village to train to become storybook heroes or villains. Sophie is convinced she’s headed to the School for Good, where she’ll become expertly trained in the art of facials, talking to animals, and sewing the perfect dress. Agatha, on the other hand, is pretty sure she’ll be going to the School for Evil, where she’ll learn dastardly spells, villainous hexes, and how to properly cook children. When the unexpected happens, and Sophie is sent to the School for Evil with Agatha heading to the School for Good, magical shenanigans ensue as the girls try to either swap schools or head back to their village for good (good as in forever, not good as in capital G, nice and lovely and sweet, Good).

Chainani had all the opportunity to make this a repeat Hogwarts, and I’m so glad he didn’t. His School for Good and Evil stands out in so many ways, first and foremost, this school can be just so plain dark. Your skin crawls with the horribly awful things the Evil teachers and students hope to achieve in their fairytale lives. It’s not uncommon to find yourself immersed in worry that Sophie, Agatha, or both are going to die at any moment. So many people have it out for them, in so many different and morbid ways, that I was positive one of them was going to be kicking the bucket before the end of the book, even before the end of the first half of the book. This feeling of wickedness gave “The School for Good and Evil” a delightful tension and unexpectedness, as Chainani’s writing felt like he might break all the YA rules and kill a protagonist right from the start. It left a feeling of suspense that keeps your heart racing throughout the entire story.

Chainani incorporates a discussion on just what it means to be Good or Evil throughout his action-packed story. Despite being pulled in to the mystery of whether or not there in fact was a mix up, and Sophie is truly Good and Agatha truly Evil, ultimately, Chainani tells readers that it is a person’s actions that determine these labels, and not face value, quick judgments. Chainani proves that looks can be deceiving, wicked exteriors can mask the most pleasant of interiors, and vice versa, and that each of us, regardless of whether or not a fairytale is written about us, will get to play the role of hero or villain in our own lives.

Good Points
Dark undertone that really makes it stand out from other fantasy YA books.
Protagonists whose lives you constantly fear for.
Great backstory on classic fairytale characters.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

2 results - showing 1 - 2
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
June 28, 2013
I'm so glad to see a good review! All I've seen so far are fairly negative reviews and it had me worried since it was one of my most anticipated books of the year. I'm glad to hear I can still look forward to it :]
July 28, 2013
In reply to an earlier comment

You should absolutely read it! I'm surprised by the negative reviews. Chainani has such a dark yet kid-friendly voice that really stands out, and I thought more people would respond positively to it.
2 results - showing 1 - 2
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Thomas Edison

0.0 (0)
Learn about the life of Thomas Edison in this early...
Pete the Cat: 5-Minute Bedtime Stories: Includes 12 Cozy Stories!

0.0 (0)
Join Pete the Cat for 12 groovy, cozy stories perfect...
Sabina: In the Eye of the Storm

0.0 (0)
As in Anne Frank's "Diary of a Young Girl" and...
Literally: Amazing Words and Where They Come From

0.0 (0)
A stunning non-fiction picture book about the origins of the...
Ty's Travels: All Aboard!

0.0 (0)
Join Ty on his imaginative adventures in Ty's Travels: All...
Cuddle Close, Little Koala

0.0 (0)
A reassuring bedtime story about the special bond between a...
We Are Together

0.0 (0)
The power of love and friendship is celebrated in this...
Rage and Ruin (The Harbinger, #2)

0.0 (0)
Half-angel Trinity and her bonded gargoyle protector, Zayne, have been...
Diamond City (Diamond City, #1)

0.0 (0)
"A thrilling adventure, through a vibrant city as alive as...
Shadow of the Batgirl

0.0 (0)
Cassandra Cain, teenage assassin, isn't exactly Batgirl material...yet. Will she...
Of Ice and Shadows

0.0 (0)
The long-awaited sequel to Of Fire and Stars—in which Mare...
Agnes at the End of the World

0.0 (0)
The Handmaid's Tale meets Wilder Girls in this genre-defying novel...
My Love is All Around

0.0 (0)
Mommy Bear shows Baby Bear how love is all around...
I'm not a Mouse!

0.0 (0)
Olivia really doesn't like her nickname - mostly because it...
My Panda Sweater

0.0 (0)
The other kids may laugh, but I always feel safe...
One Day on our Blue Planet... In the Outback

0.0 (0)
From breakfast to dinner, dusk to dawn, children will love...

Latest Member Reviews

Rage and Ruin (The Harbinger, #2)

"RAGE AND RUIN is a fantastic sequel in THE HARBINGER series. Picking up where the first book left off, we..."
Diamond City (City of Steel and Diamond, #1)

"DIAMOND CITY follows Aina, an assassin. Aina was out on the streets as a young child, when her parents were..."
Shadow of the Batgirl

"SHADOW OF THE BATGIRL is an origin story for Cassandra Cain. Cassandra was raised by her villain father as a..."
That's Not What Happened

"WHAT I LOVED: There have been countless school shootings in the United States and hundreds if not thousands of..."
Of Ice and Shadows

"WHAT I LOVED: One of my biggest complaints about Of Fire and Stars was its lacking characterization, but that’s been..."
Agnes at the End of the World

"AGNES AT THE END OF THE WORLD is a poignant YA dystopian that really speaks to humanity and the present...."
The Falling in Love Montage

"THE FALLING IN LOVE MONTAGE is a beautiful YA contemporary romance that follows Saoirse (Seer-sha). Saoirse speaks to the reader..."
Crave

"After the death of her parents, Grace comes to an Alaskan boarding school. Once there, she senses something is 'off'..."
You Brought Me the Ocean

"YOU BROUGHT ME THE OCEAN is a graphic novel of the origin story for Aqualad. Jake is 17 and living..."
The Most Dangerous Place on Earth

" I received a free copy from the publisher through Netgalley. The Most Dangerous Place on Earth centers around a..."
Pumpkinheads

"I am pretty new to graphic novels so when I won a copy of 'Pumpkin Heads' on GoodReads I was..."
Burn

"BURN imagines a world that is just like ours, except that dragons exist. Dragons have been around for longer than..."
Wonder Woman: Tempest Tossed

"WONDER WOMAN: TEMPEST TOSSED is a fantastic new story featuring Diana coming into her own. She has been raised among..."
The Archer at Dawn (The Tiger at Midnight, #2)

"THE ARCHER AT DAWN is a fantastic sequel in the THE TIGER AT MIDNIGHT trilogy. This second book picks up..."
My Calamity Jane

"What worked: This is a fun paranormal twist on historical figures set in the Wild West of 1876. I loved..."
Where Dreams Descend

"FEEDBACK This book was everything I wanted and more. It begins with Kallia and her performance. It quickly descends into..."
The State of Us

"THE STATE OF US is a really fantastic YA contemporary romance that follows the children of two political rivals. Dean's..."
Live Like Legends

"LIVE LIKE LEGENDS is an absolutely fantastic YA fantasy romance. We follow Kalista, who is a princess born to be..."
Blood Countess (Lady Slayers)

"Visually, this book is a gorgeous work of art, splattered with blood from cover to cover. For those familiar with..."
Like Sisters on the Homefront

"Top 3 reasons to read LIKE SISTERS ON THE HOMEFRONT: 1.) The characters- Gayle, a NYC girl sent to..."