Review Detail

Kids Fiction 2971
A Strong MG SciFI
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

The Planet Thieves is a strong middle grade debut from author Dan Krokos. With it's intriguing premise and unique way it entwines a typical school story with that of saving the world, The Planet Thieves was a treat.

I really enjoyed the characters, particularly the female characters. Both Merrin and Susan were both just really well rounded characters and I loved how loyal they were to their cause. The rivalry between Tom and Mason really added to both of their character as well.

While I did really enjoy all the specifics of the premise, I never completely fell in love with the story line. There were some parts I just wanted to be pushed a little further. Dan Krokos's world building is completely solid - the way he incorporated magic and the different galaxies was really neat.

There are super cool sketches throughout the book which really add to the story. They helped to solidify what these different elements and beings Dan Krokos introduces in the story.

While this one was not as strong as Dan Krokos's YA series, I still thought it was a solid start. I loved the high stakes throughout the book and the fact that he doesn't offer security to anyone really.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
June 16, 2013
Oooh, I love when books involve illustrations! I also love a good middle grade, so I'll definitely be checking it out.
1 results - showing 1 - 1
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Instructions for Dancing

0.0 (0)
THE INSTANT #1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • The critically...
Jonathan: Prince of Dreams

0.0 (0)
Still recovering from the tragic loss of his mother, typical...
Missing the Beat

0.0 (0)
The dream job? Check. The best friends? Check....
Meeting the Star

0.0 (0)
The spotless reputation? Check. The gorgeous movie star?...
Making the Play

0.0 (0)
The school of her dreams? Check. The perfect...
Runaway : Immortals of Indriell

0.0 (0)
They claim her mother died a hero. They...
The Tragedy of Dane Riley

0.0 (0)
A teen confronts his feelings about his father’s death, his...
Even and Odd

0.0 (0)
Even and Odd are sisters who share magic. Lately, though,...
Bee a Good Human: A Pollinators' Guide to a Better Life

0.0 (0)
Combining inspiration, humor, and entomology, Instagram artist Ali Beckman (@SoFlyTaxidermy)...
Goodnight, Little Bunny

0.0 (0)
Meet Little Bunny on the day that she ventures out...
Flying Over Water

0.0 (0)
N.H. Senzai and Shannon Hitchcock expertly craft the intersection of...
Rukhsanna Guidroz

0.0 (0)
Samira thinks of her life as before and after: before...
Not Now, Cow

0.0 (0)
In this hilarious picture book, all of the farm animals...
Cucu! en el Mar/Peekaboo! in the Ocean

0.0 (0)
Peekaboo! Who's hiding in the ocean? Lift the flap to...
Family Reunion

0.0 (0)
In this contemporary #OwnVoices tale, a boy is reluctant to...
A Season of Sinister Dreams

0.0 (0)
Furyborn meets A Curse So Dark and Lonely in this...

Latest Member Reviews

Instructions for Dancing

"INSTRUCTIONS FOR DANCING is an engaging YA contemporary about romance, family, and coming of age. Evie stopped believing in love..."
The Tragedy of Dane Riley

"THE TRAGEDY OF DANE RILEY is a compelling YA contemporary read about family, grief, depression, and mental illness. Dane is..."
The Shadow War

"What worked: Intriguing mix of Sci-fi with historical set during WWII. There is a lot going on in this engaging..."
Kneel

"Russell and his friend Marion live in Louisiana, and hope to use their skills at football to work their way..."
A Season of Sinister Dreams

"A SEASON OF SINISTER DREAMS is an engaging YA fantasy that follows two young women, Evra and Annalise. Annalise lives..."
I Can See Clearly

"Luc Ponti comes from a strong Italian family, and his father (an NCAA point guard, Princeton grad, Special Forces and..."
Fire with Fire

"Dani Rivera may excel at every part of her dragon slaying training, but she would rather focus on being normal..."
Better Together

"BETTER TOGETHER is a delightful and charming YA contemporary read about sisterhood, family, and healing. Siri lives with her mother..."
Get a Clue: A Bookish Boyfriends #4

"In this fourth book set at Reginald R. Hero High, we meet Huck and Win, the brother of Curtis from..."
The Fault In Our Stars

"I had enjoyed this book to great extent. I loved the relationship connection between the two characters and how the..."
The Cruelest Mercy (The Kinder Poison, #2)

"THE CRUELEST MERCY is an intriguing second book in an enthralling YA fantasy series. After the rush and danger of..."
Heiress Apparently (Daughters of the Dynasty, #1)

"What worked: This was a fun take on Crazy Rich Asians meets descendants of Empress Regent of China. Gemma..."
The Box in the Woods (Truly Devious, #4)

"THE BOX IN THE WOODS is a fantastic continuation of Stevie's story with a whole new cold case to solve...."

"Miles "Pudge" Halter seeks for a "Great Perhaps", and attends Culver Creek, a boarding school. Yet, he finds himself with..."

"To say that this book was one of my most anticipated releases for 2021 is an understatement. After the impact..."

"Oh my goodness what a way to end this series! I honestly took a little longer to finish this book..."

"I absolutely loved this sequel. The first one was such a good set up for this book. Nita is free..."
Not Even Bones

"So, this book was not what I was expecting it to be. First, it takes place in the real world...."
Somewhere Between Bitter and Sweet

"What worked: I loved this engaging, heart-felt story with one strong Chicanx protagonist. Think I'M NOT YOUR PERFECT MEXICAN DAUGHTER..."
All our Hidden Gifts

"ALL OUR HIDDEN GIFTS was a riveting and darkly captivating YA fantasy/thriller/horror read. Maeve is a teen girl and not..."