Review Detail

Kids Fiction 2139
Royally Funny
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

The first line of Christopher Healy’s “The Hero’s Guide to Saving Your Kingdom” had me literally LOL-ing, and it just never stopped. Reading his book was such a pleasure that I had this huge grin plastered across my face the entire time. My only complaint is that my face is sore from smiling so hard for a couple hours straight, but that’s a pain I’m willing to put up with after such a funny read. I’ve got to tell you, the amount of strange looks I got from passersby as I read this at a local café, loudly laughing to myself, is catastrophic so be warned.

What is so funny about this book is the satirical take Healy has on the classic fairytales of Cinderella, Snow White, Rapunzel, and Sleeping Beauty. He elaborates in such a delightful way on the character of each of the fairytale princesses and each of their respective Prince Charmings, who happen to be the stars of the book. First and foremost, these four men want you to know that their names are not Prince Charming, they are in fact Frederic, Duncan, Gustav, and Liam. Due to the misreported facts of all their kingdoms’ bards, their names have been forgotten.

As Healy elaborates on the princes’ stories, he shows readers each prince’s distinct personality. Frederic is afraid of danger and would prefer to have a pampered life. Duncan is a little dimwitted but completely adores his wife, Snow White. Gustav is Viking-esque in nature and is trying his absolute darndest to live up to the legendary stature of his 16 older brothers. Liam is the most classic Prince Charming of them all, using up all of his time performing death-defying feats of courage and strength to rescue citizens in his and surrounding kingdoms.

What hit me most about this book was Healy’s delivery of the stresses of gender stereotypes. He describes how these stereotypes affect both men and women. For men, they have to live up to the Prince Charming ideal, being brave and muscular and cunning. This is a lot to live up to, and stresses out each of these fairytale princes in different ways. For the women, especially Cinderella and Rapunzel, they have to live up to the damsel-in-distress motif and let men do everything for them. They each cannot stand living up to these boring standards, and would prefer to go out and live their own courageous adventures.

In the end, the characters become happiest when they defy the stereotypes they feel imprisoned by, and so much of the comedy comes from the reactions of others who are chained to living in a very gender orderly world. I can’t wait for the next book, in which the characters are sure to become even more of their own men and women, despite how all the fairytales tell them to act.

Good Points
The best one-liners I've read in a boy book in a long time.
The Princes Charming finally get a chance to tell their own story.
Classic fairytale princesses get to break free from the damsel-in-distress stereotype.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Pawns (The Wielders of Arantha)

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Seven hundred years in the future, a powerful alien...
Perfectly Oblivious

0.0 (0)
Cameron Bates (Cam) could have almost any girl at...
By Any Means Necessary

0.0 (0)
Heart-wrenchingly honest, fans of Brandy Colbert and Nicola Yoon...
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

0.0 (0)
Annie and Lee were just children when a brutal...
Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)

0.0 (0)
Into the Crooked Place begins a gritty two-book YA...
The Rift

0.0 (0)
As corporate greed is pitted against supernatural forces, two...
The Light at the Bottom of the World (The Light at the Bottom of the World, #1)

0.0 (0)
In the last days of the twenty-first century, sea creatures...
Conceal, Don't Feel (Twisted Tales, #7)

0.0 (0)
What if Anna and Elsa never knew each other? ...

0.0 (0)
Bestselling Divergent and Carve the Mark author Veronica Roth delivers...
Bernard Pepperlin

0.0 (0)
The drowsy Dormouse from Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland...
Vicarious

0.0 (0)
Paula Stokes weaves together a series of mysteries and the...
The Bookworm Crush

0.0 (0)
This spinoff of The Replacement Crush featuring Amy and Toff...
The Unexpected Everything

0.0 (0)
Andie must learn to embrace the beauty in chaos in...
What I Like About You

0.0 (0)
Can a love triangle have only two people in it?...
The Kinder Poison

0.0 (0)
In the magical kingdom of Orkena, Zahru has long dreamed...
Scared Little Rabbits

0.0 (0)
We stand in a tight cluster, high above the lake....

Latest Member Reviews

Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)

"I never wanted to be a superhero as a child, but I wanted to do heroic things. Tristan Strong epitomizes..."
The Light at the Bottom of the World (The Light at the Bottom of the World, #1)

"THE LIGHT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WORLD is a compelling and atmospheric YA fantasy/science fiction. In the future, the..."
Conceal, Don't Feel (Twisted Tales, #7)

"If you adored FROZEN, you need to get your hands on this Twisted Tale which reimagines the story if Anna..."

"THE END AND OTHER BEGINNINGS is the latest from DIVERGENT author, Veronica Roth. The novel is comprised of six YA..."
Bernard Pepperlin

"Bernard Pepperlin is the doormouse from Alice in Wonderland. After being forced into a teapot, Bernard climbs out to find..."
The Bookworm Crush

"THE BOOKWORM CRUSH is an absolutely charming romantic comedy with all sorts of booklover homages. Amy McIntyre is @redheadrecs and..."
Scared Little Rabbits

"SCARED LITTLE RABBITS follows Nora (aka Eleanor, Lowercase) as she sets out on a summer camp adventure that resulted in..."
A Constellation of Roses

"A CONSTELLATION OF ROSES is a beautiful story of familial love and healing. Trix has been trying to make her..."
The Squatchicorns: A Delightful Read

"In this chapter book, The Squatchicorns by Ellen Potter, the third book in a series about a friendship between a..."
The F Word (Redefining Me book 1)

"'Dating My Best Friend' (former title: 'The F Word') by Michelle MacQueen and Ann Maree Craven delves deeply into themes..."
The Cook and the King

"'The Cook and the King' by Julia Donaldson, illustrated by David Roberts, is a cute story that shows how working..."
Santa Mouse

"SANTA MOUSE is a cute rhyme about a mouse who did not have a name but does have a special..."
Pawns (The Wielders of Arantha)

"Pawns by Patrick Hodges is the first book in the Wielders of Arantha series. Complex and creative don’t begin to..."
The Reader

"I devoured The Reader by M.K. Harkins. There’s no other way to describe it. I read it in one sitting..."
Silly Lullaby (Boynton on Board)

"Boynton is a hit with toddlers, and this is another charming book that makes it easy to see why. SILLY..."
Frankly in Love

"FRANKLY IN LOVE is a surprisingly deep and heartfelt read. Although it is described as a rom-com, this is not..."
American Royals

"What if at the end of America’s Revolutionary War, George Washington was offered a crown and what if he said..."
Nikki Tesla and the Ferret-Proof Death Ray

"Nikki Tesla is an espionage novel for pre-teens. It’s exciting, engaging, and utterly unique. Nikki Tesla is a..."
Take the Mic: Fictional Stories of Everyday Resistance

"This is the type of book I’d like to see included in school curriculums. The stories are like wide open..."
Penny and Her Sled

"PENNY AND HER SLED is a chapter book for early readers that follows a mouse named Penny. Penny has been..."