Review Detail

Kids Fiction 4157
Fun new mystery series
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

Cassie's mother is the town's chief of police, and Cassie's dog, Dodge, is a former police dog who is very well trained. When the town's richest man, Verdel Ward, disappears, a lot of people have a vested interest in what has happened. The mayor thinks he has left property to the town. A fiance comes to claim her share. The faithful housekeeper is just irritated that people keep trespassing on the estate. Frequent trespassers include Cassie and Dodge, who are trying to solve the mystery. Narrated alternately by the two, we get a dog's eye view of what was going on at the estate, and Cassie gets a lot of valuable clues from Dodge's sleuthing. Will Cassie's prodding get her in trouble with her mother, or will it actually put her in danger?
Good Points
A mystery! With a dog!

Both of these elements are hugely popular in my middle school, so it's great to see them together!

This was a great mystery for middle grade students. First of all, the main mystery was one where someone is suspected of being murdered, and that's what students are constantly asking for! The chapters narrated by Dodge included details a dog would notice, but were not annoying. Cassie's relationship with her police chief mother was realistic. A subplot involving a stray dog that Cassie was trying to save at Pet Rescue came into the mystery nicely. I'll be interested to read the others in this series.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Traitors Among Us

0.0 (0)
World War II may be over. But two sisters are...
The Devil Makes Three

0.0 (0)
When Tess and Eliot stumble upon an ancient book hidden...
African Icons: Ten People Who Shaped History

0.0 (0)
Meet the ten remarkable kings, queens, inventors, scholars, and visionaries...
Liar's Room

0.0 (0)
This spooky stand-alone from MG horror expert Dan Poblocki is...
Manu: A Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
Set at a magical school for girls, a funny and...
Barakah Beats

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Nimra Sharif has spent her whole life in Islamic...
Cold-Blooded Myrtle (Myrtle Hardcastle #3)

0.0 (0)
Myrtle Hardcastle—twelve-year-old Young Lady of Quality and Victorian amateur detective—is...
How to Get Away with Myrtle (Myrtle Hardcastle #2)

0.0 (0)
Myrtle Hardcastle has no desire to go on a relaxing...
Playing the Cards Your Dealt

0.0 (0)
Ten-year-old Anthony Joplin has made it to double digits! Which...
Kyle's Little Sister

0.0 (0)
My name is Grace, not "Kyle's little sister!" ...
Ground Zero

0.0 (0)
In time for the twentieth anniversary of 9/11, master storyteller...
Final Season

0.0 (0)
From New York Times bestselling author and former NFL player...
Sunny Makes a Splash (Sunny #4)

0.0 (0)
The latest in the New York Times bestselling Sunny series...
The Magical Reality of Nadia (The Magical Reality of Nadia #1)

0.0 (0)
Inspired by the author's real life experiences, this rollicking, charming...
What Adults Don’t Know About Architecture: Inspiring young minds to build a more beautiful world

0.0 (0)
Children are rarely introduced properly to architecture, but there are...
The Curse of the Crystal Cavern (The Pathfinders Society #2)

0.0 (0)
Fresh from their hair-raising adventures in The Mystery of the...

Latest Member Reviews

Tin Heart

"WHAT I LOVED: Marlowe has spent much of her life living on the edge of death thanks to a..."
Tremendous Things

"Wilbur lives a comfortable, if somewhat lonely, life in Toronto with his two mothers. He was home schooled for a..."
Simone Breaks All the Rules

"Simone's Haitian immigrant parents are very strict; she and her sister Anne have to go to an all girls school..."
Who Put This Song On?

"In a small, very white town, Morgan is trapped in the expectations and assumptions of everyone around her. She hasn't..."
Love & Olives (Love & Gelato #3)

"Olive Varanakis's father was obsessed with the lost city of Atlantis, and since he was born and raised on the..."
Cracked Up To Be

"Cracked up to be is an unsettling tale of a girl on the cusp of a mental breakdown for over..."
That's Not What Happened

"WHAT I LOVED: There have been countless school shootings in the United States and hundreds if not thousands of..."
Like Sisters on the Homefront

"Top 3 reasons to read LIKE SISTERS ON THE HOMEFRONT: 1.) The characters- Gayle, a NYC girl sent to..."
The New David Espinoza

"David is the skinniest kid at high Florida high school, and he's taken his share of bullying about it. On..."
Long Way Down

"I feel like I've been asleep for the last 31 years and I just woke up. I am woke. ..."
Patron Saints of Nothing

"After learning that his cousin Jun (his best friend and penpal) has died, Jay Reguero heads back to visit his..."
Patron Saints of Nothing

"Reading Patron Saints of Nothing invokes a lot of emotions, especially for someone who’s socially aware of the current political..."
A Monster Calls

"4.5 Stars This low-fantasy middle grade story is at once hefty and heartrending—despite its relative brevity and target audience..."
Maybe This Time

"Sophie is bound and determined to make it out of her small Alabama town and attend design school in New..."
Let Me Hear a Rhyme

"Tiffany D. Jackson has knocked it out of the park yet again with LET ME HEAR A RHYME. When Steph..."
Let Me Hear a Rhyme

"I'm not sure which the character I loved the most. It is one of those heartfelt stories about a group..."
The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly

"Told entirely from the first-person perspective of Minnow, beginning from the point she is arrested and placed in a juvenile..."
The Disturbed Girl's Dictionary

"What worked: This is an amazing glimpse into the life of Macy. Others say she's 'disturbed', but she's the kind..."
The Disturbed Girl's Dictionary

"The Disturbed Girl’s Dictionary is as disturbing as its name implies. While, in an effort to not trivialize or..."
Fangirl

""Fangirl" was a fun and sweet story, similar in tone to Eleanor & Park. Cath and her twin sister have..."