Review Detail

Kids Fiction 1826
That which lurks in the shadows…
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

When Courtney Crumrin and her social-climbing parents come to live with mysterious Great-Uncle Aloysius in his dusty, dark gothic mansion, she realizes almost immediately things are not what they seem. In the shadowy corners of her new home lurk… things. Creatures. Danger.

First published in 2002, this ongoing independent comic has just been released in a newly colorized version, a move which might – one hopes! -- broaden its appeal and bring it to a wider audience. This is a series that deserves wider recognition. Ted Naifeh mixes the grotesque and the comical in both storyline and illustration, somewhat in the vein of Neil Gaiman. The result is COURTNEY CRUMRIN Vol 1: The Night Things, a darkly funny graphic novel about a girl who seems doomed to be an outsider no matter what world she walks in.

Dark is right. While Courtney herself manages to get through most adventures unscathed, no happy endings are guaranteed. For example, a nerdy student from her new school tries to befriend Courtney, but instead is eaten by a monster, and is never seen again. When the baby she is watching is switched for a changeling, Courtney goes after the stolen child but finds that recovering it is no easy matter.

The illustrations have a sort of corrupted Manga feel, but don’t think Manga too hard or you’ll get it wrong. Think more – cute, but skewed. In this, the drawings match the text (and, not incidentally, the theme) beautifully. Although the colorization is unobtrusive and pleasing, these drawings would do equally well in black and white since the stories seem to be about contrast: the seen and unseen, the acceptable and unaccepted, above and below, human and demon. Dreaming and waking.

We live in a world that has more to it than we dream of in our philosophy, and a big part of growing up is both learning to see that, and learning to deal with it. In this, Courtney is just another adolescent finding her way. Courtney accepts her lack of popularity in the neighborhood, and at school (while not exactly embracing it) and slowly learns that she is far more like her odd uncle than she is like her own parents, a discovery which frees her to start making her own choices. If those choices are sometimes unfortunate, well, what teen doesn’t make mistakes? Courtney deals with her own messes, and for that alone she is a heroine worth loving.
Good Points
Fans of Emily the Strange, take note!
Amazing illustrations
Dark but funny
Funny but dark
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Instructions for Dancing

0.0 (0)
THE INSTANT #1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • The critically...
Jonathan: Prince of Dreams

0.0 (0)
Still recovering from the tragic loss of his mother, typical...
Missing the Beat

0.0 (0)
The dream job? Check. The best friends? Check....
Meeting the Star

0.0 (0)
The spotless reputation? Check. The gorgeous movie star?...
Making the Play

0.0 (0)
The school of her dreams? Check. The perfect...
Runaway : Immortals of Indriell

0.0 (0)
They claim her mother died a hero. They...
The Tragedy of Dane Riley

0.0 (0)
A teen confronts his feelings about his father’s death, his...
Even and Odd

0.0 (0)
Even and Odd are sisters who share magic. Lately, though,...
Bee a Good Human: A Pollinators' Guide to a Better Life

0.0 (0)
Combining inspiration, humor, and entomology, Instagram artist Ali Beckman (@SoFlyTaxidermy)...
Goodnight, Little Bunny

0.0 (0)
Meet Little Bunny on the day that she ventures out...
Flying Over Water

0.0 (0)
N.H. Senzai and Shannon Hitchcock expertly craft the intersection of...
Rukhsanna Guidroz

0.0 (0)
Samira thinks of her life as before and after: before...
Not Now, Cow

0.0 (0)
In this hilarious picture book, all of the farm animals...
Cucu! en el Mar/Peekaboo! in the Ocean

0.0 (0)
Peekaboo! Who's hiding in the ocean? Lift the flap to...
Family Reunion

0.0 (0)
In this contemporary #OwnVoices tale, a boy is reluctant to...
A Season of Sinister Dreams

5.0 (1)
Furyborn meets A Curse So Dark and Lonely in this...

Latest Member Reviews

Instructions for Dancing

"INSTRUCTIONS FOR DANCING is an engaging YA contemporary about romance, family, and coming of age. Evie stopped believing in love..."
The Tragedy of Dane Riley

"THE TRAGEDY OF DANE RILEY is a compelling YA contemporary read about family, grief, depression, and mental illness. Dane is..."
The Shadow War

"What worked: Intriguing mix of Sci-fi with historical set during WWII. There is a lot going on in this engaging..."
Even and Odd

"Even and Odd are sisters born a year apart who share their magical power. Odd isn't thrilled with hers, and..."
Kneel

"Russell and his friend Marion live in Louisiana, and hope to use their skills at football to work their way..."
Goodnight, Little Bunny

"GOODNIGHT, LITTLE BUNNY is an interesting picture book read about a bunny's first trip out of the burrow. Bunny is..."
Flying Over Water

"When Jordyn's mother offers to help Noura Alwan's family settle in Tampa, Florida, Jordyn hopes that it will improve her..."
Rukhsanna Guidroz

"In 2012, Samira and her family are members of the Rohingya people. Because of the oppressive government in Myanmar (or..."
Not Now, Cow

"NOT NOW, COW is a charming and funny picture book about seasonal clothes. The animals are getting ready for each..."
Cucu! en el Mar/Peekaboo! in the Ocean

"CUCU! EN EL MAR/ PEEKABOO! IN THE OCEAN is an adorable bilingual lift-the-flap board book. Each page features an animal..."
Family Reunion

"FAMILY REUNION is a colorful picture book that captures all the joy of seeing family, even when you think you..."
The Little Things: A Story about Acts of Kindness

ND novak dj
"Am here to testify what this great spell caster done for me. i never believe in spell casting, until when..."
Early One Morning

ND novak dj
"Am here to testify what this great spell caster done for me. i never believe in spell casting, until when..."
You Are Fantastic!

ND novak dj

ND novak dj
A Season of Flowers

ND novak dj
City (Wheels at Work)

ND novak dj
Llama Llama Meets the Babysitter

ND novak dj
Better Together

ND novak dj
Smoke and Mirrors: The Heartstone

ND novak dj