Review Detail

Liesl & Po Featured
Kids Fiction 2961
Wonderfully Magical!
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Liesl and Po took me a little while to get into, but once I did I couldn't put it down. This book just has that magical feel to it. You know when you smell a certain smell how it takes you right back to a certain place or situation? This book was similar to that...it brought me back to my childhood sitting in my top bunk, reading well into the night.

The tone of the narrator is perfect! There is a hint of mischief to the tone that adds depth to the story. The characters are so easy to love, or in a few cases hate! Liesl is the perfect heroine! She has received the short stick in life, but she doesn't whine about it. Will doesn't have it much better than Liesl, but he manages to make the best of it. Po and Bundle add such a playful supernatural element to the story, and Liesl could have never made it with out them! Mo, however, was my favorite character. He is a simple man with a huge heart! On the other hand, the villains are so fun to hate! You of course have the evil stepmother, the power hungry alchemist, and the greedy and powerful "Lady Premiere". Lauren Oliver rolls together a fantastic puzzle of mistakes, consequences, coincidences, and magic. The illustrations are fantastic, and definitely add to the story! This is a magical story about love, friendship, and kindness that young and old can enjoy together. This story would make a great read aloud for younger children!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Imposters

5.0 (1)
Frey and Rafi are inseparable . . . but very...
Better Than the Movies

5.0 (1)
Liz Buxbaum has always known that Wes Bennett was not...
African Icons: Ten People Who Shaped History

5.0 (1)
Meet the ten remarkable kings, queens, inventors, scholars, and visionaries...
Count to LOVE! (A Bright Brown Baby Board Book)

5.0 (1)
Cuddle up with your little one and get ready to...
The Mystery of the Meanest Teacher: A Johnny Constantine Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
THE MYSTERY OF THE MEANEST TEACHER: A JOHNNY CONSTANTINE GRAPHIC...

0.0 (0)
A shocking thriller about a group of friends who go...
Bird Boy

0.0 (0)
Take flight in this heartwarming story about a boy who...
Love You By Heart

0.0 (0)
Acclaimed creator of The Word Collector, Happy Dreamer, Say Something,...
Fa-La-La Llama (Touch-and-Feel Board Book)

0.0 (0)
Get ready to deck the halls with these joyful, singing,...
The Oddmire, Book 3: Deepest, Darkest

0.0 (0)
The third adventure in the beloved fantasy series full of...
The Oddmire, Book 2: The Unready Queen

0.0 (0)
Human-raised brothers Tinn and Cole join forces with Fable, daughter...
The Oddmire, Book 1: Changeling

0.0 (0)
Magic is fading from the Wild Wood. To renew it,...

Latest Member Reviews

Into Darkness (Stuffed, Book 2) (Stuffed, 2)

"STUFFED INTO DARKNESS features Clark who is so excited to go to camp, where the Stuffies protect them from monsters...."
The Truth about Keeping Secrets

"THE TRUTH ABOUT KEEPING SECRETS is a book about grief, the desire for belonging and understanding, and the search for..."
The Good Girls

"THE GOOD GIRLS is an enthralling read. The book begins after the disappearance and seeming murder of the police chief's..."
The Shadow Mission (The Athena Protocol, #2)

"THE SHADOW MISSION is an even better sequel to THE ATHENA PROTOCOL with lots of action and spy-related danger. In..."
The Missing Season

"Urban legend in the town of Pender has it every October the Mumbler snatches a kid. Local authorities brush the..."
Brawler

"Eddie McGuire is a talented high school wrestler with a horribly short fuse. This is no doubt a result of..."
The Chosen (Contender, #1)

"MAZE RUNNER meets LAND OF THE LOST in this engaging page-turner full of twists and turns in an epic tale..."
Pretend She's Here

"Since they were little, Lizzie Porter and Emily Lonergan were inseparable and best friends. Now Emily is almost sixteen-years-old, and..."
The Lovely and the Lost

"THE LOVELY AND THE LOST follows Kira, a girl who was once found by search and rescue (SAR) and who..."
Three Dark Crowns

" The dark YA fantasy tale of a brutal matriarchy, and its vicious method of choosing its rulers. ..."
Slasher Girls & Monster Boys

"Original Review: literarychaos.com Anthologies have been rather hit or miss for me. Anthologies are tricky, they have..."
Watch You Burn

"Jenny is an arsonist who has an addiction of watching things burn. When she moves in with her dad, she..."
With Malice

"I loved this book, it kept me thinking afterwards for days. "The truth is how you tell it," take that..."
I Do Not Trust You

"I DO NOT TRUST YOU by Laura J. Burns and Melinda Metz is a young adult thriller that follows Memphis..."
The Black Key (The Lone City #3)

""The Black Key" is an intense finale to the Lone City trilogy. Violet has escaped the city and is training..."
The Hundredth Queen

"This book is not appropriate for the 12+ age range. More like 17+. The basic plot revolves around orphaned girls..."
Three Dark Crowns

"I really enjoyed a lot of this book. But the title is legit, it's dark. Why? Because you have 16..."
We Were Liars

"I loved this book!"
Afterimage

"Feedback This book was not what I expected at all. Camryn is the sole survivor of a horrific explosion..."
Hiding Lies

"HIDING LIES is the second installment in the Eleanor Ames series. It begins with Ellie and Miles saying goodbye since..."