Review Detail

Kids Fiction 1749
What's in a Name?
(Updated: March 09, 2012)
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

As someone who has a 10-letter long name, I could appreciate this book. My entire life, my lovely (in my opinion) name has always been shortened in all sorts of brutal and even crass ways. I can sympathize with Elizabeth, who rightly recognizes that her name is special and decides to make a point to the world about this fact. Some people like nicknames (I DO like some of mine, promise!) and some don't, but this little story is a great way to teach your kids to be proud of their name, and to assert themselves. The black, white, orange, and sky blue illustrations are unique and done in a perspective that really brings you into the child's world. A great book to get for those who have complicated, long, or hard-to-spell names...or for those whose name is Elizabeth. My kids have a cousin by that name, but I'm not so sure I want to give her this one--we want to keep it for ourselves!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 2 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
March 09, 2012
Looks like a cute story. I LOVE the cover.
1 results - showing 1 - 1
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Fence: Striking Distance

0.0 (0)
The boys of Kings Row bout with drama, rivalry, and...
Pirate Nell's Tale to Tell

0.0 (0)
From the author/illustrator team behind The Snatchabook comes a book-filled...
The Glass Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #2)

0.0 (0)
Once Upon a Time meets Game of Thrones in...
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

0.0 (0)
A broken world. An overwhelming evil. A team of...
Finding Balance

0.0 (0)
Jase Ellison doesnt remember having acute lymphocytic leukemia when...
Be a Voter!: 450 Stickers for Democracy

0.0 (0)
Get out the vote! It’s...
I Believe In You

0.0 (0)
A charming picture book that inspires confidence, boosts self-esteem, and...
Breathless

0.0 (0)
From Jennifer Niven, the #1 New York Times bestselling...
Of Thorns and Beauty (Twisted Pages Book 1)

0.0 (0)
You think you know the tale as old time,...
The Verity

0.0 (0)
When being eaten alive is the least of your...
Meanwhile

0.0 (0)
Celebrate 10 years of this completely original graphic novel take...
Grant Beagan: The Finder's Code

0.0 (0)
He’s just an ordinary teenager who likes astronomy, video games,...
Sting Magic

0.0 (0)
She has the wrong kind of magic but the right...
The Runaway (Barrett Boys #1)

0.0 (0)
He’s on the hunt for a fresh start. She’s trapped...
Fisher- Price Fun in the Jungle: Explore, Touch, and Feel

0.0 (0)
Children will love exploring the different textures in this playful...
Glitter Globes: The Night Before Christmas

0.0 (0)
On the night before Christmas, all over the house, not...

Latest Member Reviews

Pirate Nell's Tale to Tell

"PIRATE NELL'S TALE TO TELL is a charming picture book about Nell, who has always dreamed of being a pirate...."
I Believe In You

"I BELIEVE IN YOU is a delightfully encouraging book with bright colors and a charming story. While the main text..."
Glitter Globes: The Night Before Christmas

"THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS modifies the original poem to be more modern and easily understood by young children. The classic..."
Duck and Penguin Do Not Like Sleepovers

"DUCK AND PENGUIN DO NOT LIKE SLEEPOVERS is an overall cute book about two stuffed animals whose owners are BFFs..."
Fussy Flamingo

"FUSSY FLAMINGO is an adorable fictional tale about a flamingo named Lola that doesn't want to eat shrimp. Instead, her..."
Give It! (Moneybunny Books)

"GIVE IT! introduces the simple concept of charity as well as being thoughtful about money purchases. Chummy and his Gran..."
Stanley's Fire Engine

"STANLEY'S FIRE ENGINE is an adorable picture book that follows a day in the life of Stanley the Firefighter. Stanley..."
Thanks a Ton! (A Hello!Lucky Book)

"THANKS A TON! is filled to the brim with bright colors, rhymes, animals, and gratitude. While an elephant has a..."
Indestructibles: Big and Little: A Book of Opposites

"BIG AND LITTLE: A BOOK OF OPPOSITES is a great book for introducing the concept of opposites to babies. The..."
Indestructibles: All Year Round: A Book of Seasons

"ALL YEAR ROUND: A BOOK OF SEASONS is a delightfully simple book that presents the seasons. Targeted towards infants and..."
Peppermint Post

"PEPPERMINT POST is an adorable new story about Christmas and Santa. The Peppermint Post is the busiest post office in..."
Bread Lab!

"BREAD LAB! is a cute picture book that walks through the steps of making sourdough bread through the eyes of..."
A Thousand No's

"A THOUSAND NO'S is a cute picture book about the way that feedback can change an idea. A girl has..."
Sharko and Hippo

"SHARKO AND HIPPO is a clever and comical book about two best friends who are going fishing for the day...."
The Thing About Bees: A Love Letter

"THE THING ABOUT BEES: A LOVE LETTER is an informative and gorgeously illustrated picture book about bees. The book describes..."
Zora's Zucchini

"ZORA'S ZUCCHINI is a delightful picture book that explores growing vegetables and sharing with neighbors. Zora is a little bored..."
Libby Loves Science

"LIBBY LOVES SCIENCE is a cute picture book that brings a love of science to all the fun of ice..."
The Hidden Rainbow

"THE HIDDEN RAINBOW is a delightful picture book that combines counting, colors, and nature in a beautiful exploration. Each page..."
Kamala and Maya's Big Idea

"KAMALA AND MAYA'S BIG IDEA is a picture book based on a true story about pursuing your goals and doing..."
Sheep Dog and Sheep Sheep: Baaad Hair Day

"SHEEP DOG AND SHEEP SHEEP: BAAAD HAIR DAY is a comical picture book about haircuts. Sheep has lovely curls that..."