Review Detail

Kids Fiction 1963
Quirky and Funny
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
There's never been a better time to be a nerd. Computer geeks run the world, math rock is a thing, and even thick black glasses are cool. So a novel that celebrates all things nerdy is welcome, even better when it is genuinely funny.

Our hero is Gabe, a geeky ten-year-old who gets a stepbrother his age about a week before he heads off to the Summer Center for Gifted Achievement. Gabe is thrilled about both, but when he meets Zack, who surfs and spends most of his time on his iPhone, he begins to see himself through new eyes. True to his nature, he hypothesizes that he is not just a nerd who only has nerdy adventures, and decides to spend his time at camp working it out.

What won me over about Gabe, as well as his bunkmates Wesley and Nikhil, is their total enthusiasm for everything. As a teacher, I can't imagine anything better than a group of adolescents who are excited and curious about all the possibilities they are offered (although I did snort knowingly when a lice epidemic is announced and a student asks for the genus and species. I teach Gifted and Talented classes.) For example, the boys try to make their cabin cooler, so they decorate with the theme of music and sports. Of course, the end up with pictures of Beethoven, a treble and bass clef, and the official rules of badminton. It's one of those moments that here in the south, you would shake your head and say, "Bless."

That's the best part of NERD CAMP. Author Elissa Brent Weissman never denies the nerdiness of all the characters, but she always makes them more endearing than they are dorky. I'm happy that they have a safe place to love whatever it is you love, without fear of ridicule. We all deserve our own version of a nerd camp.
Good Points
Really funny
A great message of acceptance
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
It is twenty years since the events of La Belle...
Heiress Apparently (Daughters of the Dynasty, #1)

0.0 (0)
The first book in an epic and romantic YA series...
Winter Light

0.0 (0)
WINTER LIGHT is the story of 15-year-old Mary Donahue...
Talent

0.0 (0)
Sandee Mason is convinced her life will change if she...
WITHIN THE FOLDS OF A SWAN'S WINGS

0.0 (0)
What if the one element that has always defined you...
The Good Girls

0.0 (0)
One of Us Is Lying meets Sadie in this twisty,...
Frozen 2: Dangerous Secrets: The Story of Iduna and Agnarr

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Iduna harbors a dark secret. On the surface, she...
All our Hidden Gifts

0.0 (0)
Maeve’s strangely astute tarot readings make her the talk of...

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Cassie needs a horse. She’s determined to move up...
A Higher Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 9)

0.0 (0)
Just when everything seems to be perfect, it all falls...
A Happier Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 8)

0.0 (0)
Two guys. One girl. A big confusing mess. ...
A Healthier Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 7)

0.0 (0)
She broke his heart. Will he ever forgive her? ...
A Steadier Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 6)

0.0 (0)
He wants her back, but she’s already taken. ...
A Stronger Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 5)

0.0 (0)
Can new love heal old wounds? I want...
A Smarter Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 4)

0.0 (0)
Can she keep him, or will his ex steal him...
A Bolder Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 3)

0.0 (0)
When the truth is uncovered, the bullies come out to...

Latest Member Reviews

That's Not What Happened

"WHAT I LOVED: There have been countless school shootings in the United States and hundreds if not thousands of..."
Tarnished Are the Stars

"FEEDBACK I actually really enjoyed this story. The beginning was a little confusing because there wasn’t too much explanation of..."
Pig the Tourist

"PIG THE TOURIST features our beloved pug named Pig while he goes on vacation. The only thing is that he..."
The Darkest Bloom (Shadowscent #1)

"Rakel wants nothing more than to get a well-paying job since she's so skilled with scents. Her father his what's..."
Creep

"CREEP is an interesting YA thriller/horror that follows an incoming high school freshman, Olivia (Liv). Olivia lives in a small..."
She's the Liar

"'She's the Liar' by Alison Cherry is about sisters Abby and Sydney and their time together at Brookside Academy. Abby,..."
Rated

"RATED follows six teens in alternating points-of-view as they navigate a dystopian future. In this society, your life is dictated..."
The Surface Breaks: A Reimagining of The Little Mermaid

"THE SURFACE BREAKS is a slow-building retelling of The Little Mermaid. While staying true to the classic, this story adds..."
Night of Soldiers and Spies (Ranger in Time #10)

"Ranger travels back in time via a magical first aid kit, and must stay until he figures out how to..."
Maybe This Time

"Sophie is bound and determined to make it out of her small Alabama town and attend design school in New..."
On Thin Ice

"Ked Eakins lives in the small town of Norton, where the major manufacturing plants are seeing hard times. His father..."
Skyjacked!

"Six students from an elite private school are returning home after a camping trip on the private plane belonging to..."
Not if I Save You First

"this book is amazing!!! I am still reading it but I am up to a good part. don't wanna spoil..."
Stolen Girl

"Nadia and Marusia arrive in Canada after being in Displaced Persons camps in Europe. They are Ukrainian, and Nadia is..."
Dear Ally, How Do You Write A Book?

"DEAR ALLY, HOW DO YOU WRITE A BOOK is perfect for anyone interested in writing. It doesn't matter if you're..."
The Deceiver's Heart

"THE DECEIVER'S HEART opens in an epic way. Kestra tries to kill Lord Endrick, but fails and tries to escape..."
Stepsister

""The wolves in the woods have sharp teeth and long claws, bit it's the wolf inside who will tear you..."
Dragons Eat Noodles on Tuesdays

"DRAGONS EAT NOODLES ON TUESDAY is a silly story about two monsters who are trying to tell a story. However,..."
Ruff vs. Fluff (Queenie & Arthur #1)

"Arthur, an enthusiastic but somewhat misguided mixed breed dog, and Queenie, a particular and discerning cat, both live with their..."
Pretend She's Here

"Since they were little, Lizzie Porter and Emily Lonergan were inseparable and best friends. Now Emily is almost sixteen-years-old, and..."