Review Detail

3.5 2
Kids Fiction 2743
Autism Awareness
Overall rating

Plot/Characters/Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Reader reviewed by Mrs. Healt

This book was a fantastic book to promote Autism Awareness and treating others with respect.  There are so many issues that The Silent Boy deals with, from teenage pregnancy to understanding that eventhough people are different, they can still make good friends.  I bought this story on audiobook and let the students listen to it.  I created a study guide with chapter comprehension questions and vocabulary words and we filled it out together.  The other good thing about The Silent Boy was that the author developed it from old photos that she had bought at an antique store.  So I went online to oldtimephotos.com and printed a bunch and the students chose one to write a narrative piece about.  They loved it.  The culminating activity was an assembly where actors came and acted out the book.  I did think that the ending was a bit sad and the the author never came out and said that Jacob was autistic, so I had to lead the kids to understand that.  To help with that concept, I had a representative from the ARC come speak to the students. 
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 2

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account