Review Detail

Kids Fiction 1635
There Was An Old Monster
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

There Was An Old Monster! is a fun, spooky spin on There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. (Which, honestly, was spooky enough I mean, she eventually swallows a horse. Shouldnt an old lady know better?)

The monster in this story starts his journey by swallowing a tick that makes him feel sick. Our hapless hero then tries everything from ants to a lizard to a lion to end his affliction.

Sadly, the lion doesnt work out too well.

A thoughtful addition to this rendering of the man versus beasts story is an actual download of the song available on the Scholastic website, allowing kids to learn the song and sing along.

There Was An Old Monster! is written by Caldecott Medalist Ed Emberley and his daughter Rebecca. The song is written and performed by Adrian Emberley, Rebeccas daughter. Its a family affair and fun for the family! Check it out!

Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Smile Shop

0.0 (0)
Critically-acclaimed author-illustrator Satoshi Kitamura (Hat Tricks) celebrates the value of...
Stanley's Lunch Box

0.0 (0)
Everyone’s favorite hard-working hamster Stanley introduces young readers to a...
What Are Unicorns Made Of?

0.0 (0)
Have you ever wondered what unicorns are made of? Are...
Grandfather Bowhead, Tell Me a Story

0.0 (0)
Richly illustrated and lovingly told, this book is a warm...
Stanley's Toy Box

0.0 (0)
Everyone’s favorite hard-working hamster Stanley teams up with friends to...
Sing Me Forgotten

0.0 (0)
Isda does not exist. At least not beyond the opulent...
A Story of Giants - Book 1

0.0 (0)
What if I told you that we are not alone,...
Peek-a-Boo Little Reindeer

0.0 (0)
In this adorable peek-a-boo board book with felt flaps, a...
Perfect on Paper

0.0 (0)
In Sophie Gonzales' Perfect on Paper, Leah on the Offbeat...
11 Paper Hearts

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of To All the Boys I've Loved...
shine your icy crown

0.0 (0)
“Make them rue the day they underestimated you.” ...
The Castle School (for Troubled Girls)

0.0 (0)
From New York Times bestselling author Alyssa Sheinmel comes the...
Kamala Harris: Rooted in Justice

0.0 (0)
Discover the incredible story of a young daughter of immigrants...
Follow Your Arrow

0.0 (0)
For fans of Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera, this is...
Paris Cat

0.0 (0)
A sassy cat from the back alleys of Paris believes...
The Last Hazelnut

0.0 (0)
When two woodland friends have a misunderstanding over who ate...

Latest Member Reviews

Anchored

"Unlike anything I've read before. The Story: Alora is of two worlds. During her..."
The Curse of Jenny Greene

"I should start by saying The Curse of Jenny Greene is far from my normal genre preferences. I’m not usually..."
Emmie and the Tudor Queen

"This sequel resolved a lot of questions I had that weren’t answered in the first book like where did the..."
The Reclaimed Kingdom (The Syphon Series, Book 1)

"I’m a new fan of Dana Claire as I recently read “The Connection” and loved it. While I eagerly..."
Sleeping Beauty's Spindle

"Briar Rose hasn't had any easy life. After losing her parents, she's struggling to keep her siblings together as a..."
The First Holidays

"A sweet and perfect novella to go with this series. The Story: Four best..."
The Connection

"I’ll cut to the chase before I delve into a more detailed review; I loved this book! I binge-read The..."
The Parkour Club

" The Parkour Club is a rollicking good read! Bronte’s journey to find her place in the world..."
The Forgotten World (The World Apart Series Book 3)

"I don't know how this series keeps getting better, but it does. This third book is just... so much happens..."
The Tempest Sea

"This book... oof. It hurt. But if you know me at all, you know my favorite books are the kind..."
The Fractured Empire

"This book grabbed me from the very beginning, throwing me into this beautifully-crafted, intriguing new world. The plot is fast-paced..."
My High School Royal Boyfriend

"'My High School Royal Boyfriend' by Kylie Key follows new River Valley High students Blaire and Alex, as they try..."
Born at Dawn

"BORN AT DAWN is an upper YA fantasy full of adventure - the main character is half human and half..."
Born Royal

"As a girl, Vi suffered various forms of torture from her mom and she was the equivalent to a lab..."
The Lost Prince (The Nihryst Book 2)

"THE LOST PRINCE opens up where the first one left off. Ada is with Lee searching for a cure to..."
Edge of Light

"This book literally starts out with a bang as multiple meteorites strike cities across the earth at the same time,..."
The Runaway (Barrett Boys #1)

"Annie lives in a small town where everyone knows everything about each other. She is usually the subject of the..."
My High School Rebel Boyfriend

"A cute story. The story: My High School Rebel Boyfriend stars a high school senior, Harper,..."
Daughter of Darkness

"Definitely a book that's worth a read. The Story: Kenna wants to be able..."
Golden Curse (The True Story of Rapunzel)

"This beautiful story is highly enjoyable. The writing flows easily, and the characters feel relatable. The main conflict was interesting..."