Review Detail

Kids Fiction 2619
My Life in Pink and Green by Lisa Greenwald - Perfect
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Im a reader that enjoys a lot of fantasy - and as little reality as possible. My Life in Pink and Green isnt a book I would pick up on my own, which made it even more of a wonderful surprise.

I loved this book.

Our heroine, Lucy Desberg - and a heroine of epic proportions she is - has chutzpah. In spades. Lucy is afraid things are at their worst when she opens the mail at her familys pharmacy and notices big black letters with the words THREE DELINQUENT MORTGAGE PAYMENTS&YOU ARE IN DANGER OF FORECLOSURE. Like most twelve-year-olds in such a situation, shes not exactly sure what this means. But she knows its bad.

The Old Mill Pharmacy doesnt do the business it used to do back in the old days when the place was the after school hang out. Now Lucys grandmother barely turns on the grill anymore and no one stands in line for snacks and sodas.

But Lucy believes she can make the pharmacy even better than it used to be. Opportunity walks through her door in the form of the high school homecoming queen, looking for a remedy to her own personal disaster - a really bad hair day. Lucy has the answer, and her quick thinking and good advice earns respect from the queen and her friends. The news spreads, and this kickstarts Lucys new career as a makeover artist. Shes really good at it, and loves making other people feel great about themselves.

A conversation between Lucy and her sister sparks the perfect idea, one that might just save the pharmacy while helping save the earth. Then a local Going Green Grant application turns up when Lucy does a Web search at her schools Earth Club meeting. Could the grant be the answer?

Lucy is Every Kid. In a time when many families are facing scary things like foreclosure and job loss, shes a positive voice that reminds us all it is possible for just one person, even a kid, to make a difference. Highest recommendations&

Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 13 7

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Be Our Guest!

0.0 (0)
Join Gray Malin’s menagerie of wild animals for a stay...
Hat Tricks

0.0 (0)
Meet Hattie the magician―she’s a natural performer, and you’re invited...
Stanley's Toolbox

0.0 (0)
It’s another busy day with Stanley and friends! ...
Spring Is Here!

0.0 (0)
When spring arrives, baby animals come out to play with...
10 Things I Hate About Pinky

0.0 (0)
The delightful follow-up to When Dimple Met Rishi and There’s...
The Child of Chaos

0.0 (0)
This is what fantasy fiction should be." --Piers Anthony, New...
Want to Read Rate this book 1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars3 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars5 of 5 stars Preview Star-Spangled: The Story of a Flag, a Battle, and the American Anthem

0.0 (0)
“O say can you see” begins one of the most...

0.0 (0)
July 20, 1969. It’s a day that has earned a...
Thurgood Marshall

0.0 (0)
When Thurgood Marshall—the great grandson of a slave—was born, African...
Down Under the Pier

0.0 (0)
There’s lots of fun to be had up on the...
Lali's Feather

0.0 (0)
This endearing story of identification and values shows the rewards...

0.0 (0)
Book three in a hilarious new series featuring one boy...

0.0 (0)
Everything starts with a question, like this one: Why do...

0.0 (0)
Worries, fears, and anxieties are all dragons that sneak up...
The Copycat

0.0 (0)
A funny, unpredictable, and heartfelt new novel from Wendy McLeod...
DC Super Hero Girls: Powerless

0.0 (0)
The DC Super Hero Girls learn what it's like to...

Latest Member Reviews

House of Dead Maids

"Tabby, eleven years old, is the chosen one&chosen by Ms. Winter, also known as the old maid, to leave Ms...."

"Reader reviewed by Jinxie Norm is an 11 year old boy who works in his family's grocery store.  One day,..."
Tropical Secrets: Holocaust Refugees in Cuba

BL Becky Laney
"Engle, Margarita. 2009. (March 31, 2009 Pub.) TROPICAL SECRETS: HOLOCAUST REFUGEES IN CUBA. Henry Holt. 198 pages. Read. This. Book...."

"Reader reviewed by Peacechik I think this book was just trying to be too much like Chasing Vermeer. Frankly, it..."

"Reader reviewed by Khy Ling was comfortable with her life until the Revolution hit. Her parents were both doctors, her..."
Elizabeth Leads the Way: Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Right to Vote

"Reader reviewed by Julie M. Prince Eliabeth does indeed lead the way! This story clearly illustrates the passion sparked..."
Home, and Other Big, Fat Lies

"Reader reviewed by Amanda I loved this book with a capital L!!! A couple of months ago I read..."

"Reader reviewed by Amanda What I Call Life by Jill Wolfson is the story of Cal Lavender (you must read..."

"Reader reviewed by Sara "Nine-year-old Ling is very comfortable with her life; her parents are both dedicated doctors in..."
Estelle Takes a Bath

"Reader reviewed by Kim Peek Estelle takes a bubble bath and is joined by a shivering mouse who is in..."

"Reader reviewed by librariane Hero struggles with her Shakespearian name--why couldn't *she* be the one named after Beatrice, instead of..."

"Reader reviewed by librariane Willa Mae has lived with her grandparents and Aunt Rose (age 16) for the past several..."

"Reader reviewed by librariane A story about Russian Jews immigrating to the American west (Colorado), where they can own land..."
Cold in Summer (Cold in Summer #1)

"Reader reviewed by librariane Ariadnes family has just moved from Florida to Tennessee, and shes not adjusting well, partly because..."