Review Detail

Kids Fiction 1121
Wisdom and Eternal Youth Collide
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Reader reviewed by Dee Marie

On the surface, The Time Cavern, appears to be an average, YA Sci-Fi adventure tale. The plot initially simplistic: A young boy (Aaron) and his tomboy girlfriend (Jake), discover an ancient mystery of the universe, a time machine. Yet, the story is more than a fiction-adventure for young boys (and girls). It is also a learning tool. For nestled within the pages of his story, Todd Fonseca subtly weaves an abundance of life-lessons.

I was pleasantly surprised to find The Time Cavern overflowing with factoids involving astronomy, science, history, religious acceptance, and family tolerance&all intertwined into an intriguing tale of mystery, discovery and suspense.

One of my favorite chapters involved a brief, but heartfelt, father-son talk&climaxing with ten-year-old Aarons realization that he indeed needed to take responsibility in his being grounded. Sprinkled throughout the book, precious gems of knowledge and wisdom are as abundant as the hidden clues propelling Aaron and Jakes quest to solve the ancient mystery.

I highly recommend The Time Cavern, for parents that are looking for an intellectual story that neither talks over the heads of its readers, or talks down to them. It is easy to tell from Todd Fonsecas tale, that he possesses the wisdom of the ancients, and the soul of eternal youth.

Dee Marie ~ author of Sons of Avalon: Merlins Prophecy

Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A Thousand Questions

0.0 (0)
Set against the backdrop of Karachi, Pakistan, Saadia Faruqi’s tender...

0.0 (0)
Second in a new series about a bright and determined...

0.0 (0)
There's a chill in the air and frost on the...

0.0 (0)
Disney’s classic animated films come to life in the latest...
Fence: Striking Distance

0.0 (0)
The boys of Kings Row bout with drama, rivalry, and...
Pirate Nell's Tale to Tell

0.0 (0)
From the author/illustrator team behind The Snatchabook comes a book-filled...
The Glass Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #2)

0.0 (0)
Once Upon a Time meets Game of Thrones in...
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

0.0 (0)
A broken world. An overwhelming evil. A team of...
Finding Balance

0.0 (0)
Jase Ellison doesnt remember having acute lymphocytic leukemia when...
Be a Voter!: 450 Stickers for Democracy

0.0 (0)
Get out the vote! It’s...
I Believe In You

0.0 (0)
A charming picture book that inspires confidence, boosts self-esteem, and...
Breathless

0.0 (0)
From Jennifer Niven, the #1 New York Times bestselling...
Of Thorns and Beauty (Twisted Pages Book 1)

0.0 (0)
You think you know the tale as old time,...
The Verity

0.0 (0)
When being eaten alive is the least of your...
Meanwhile

0.0 (0)
Celebrate 10 years of this completely original graphic novel take...
Grant Beagan: The Finder's Code

0.0 (0)
He’s just an ordinary teenager who likes astronomy, video games,...

Latest Member Reviews

Blood & Honey

"This is going to be a hard review to write because I have so many words that want to come..."
Don't Call the Wolf

"Ren is the queen of the forest, a lynx shifter, and the protector of the forest's creatures. When a dragon..."
Moment of Truth

"Hadley Moore is a dedicated high school swimmer who is hoping to get a college scholarship for the sport, so..."
The Paper Girl of Paris

"THE PAPER GIRL OF PARIS by Jordyn Taylor is a new young adult novel that is both a contemporary and..."
The Betrothed

"THE BETROTHED is a YA romance that follows Hollis, a young woman who has her eyes on the crown. Although..."
The New David Espinoza

"David is the skinniest kid at high Florida high school, and he's taken his share of bullying about it. On..."
The Paper Girl of Paris

"The Paper Girl of Paris is written by journalist Jordyn Taylor and is set in both historical 1940’s and nowadays..."
The Betrothed

"The Betrothed is a brand new YA-novel set in the 15th century by Kiera Cass, whom we all know from..."
Fan the Fame

"WHAT I LOVED: Excuse me, who gave Anna Priemaza permission to bug my house and use my brother and I..."

"Four very different high school girls plan to spend one month together in GIRLS OF JULY, and they each have..."
The Beholder

"When Selah's proposal to her childhood crush is rejected, she is sent away on a boat to meet possible suitors...."
On the Fence

"I'm a sucker for YA and Friends to Lovers romance, and Kasie West is one of my favorite YA author..."
On the Fence

"I've read this book twice now, and I can't stop thinking about it. I feel madly in love with Charlie,..."
Fame, Fate, and the First Kiss

"When Lacey scores a leading role in a zombie movie, she wants to give it her all. However, she struggles..."
Stolen Time

"STOLEN TIME by Danielle Rollins is the first book of a YA time travel trilogy. It begins when Ash, a..."
Love, Life, and the List

"Abby's goal in life is to become a serious artist. Her hope is to get into a special art camp...."
The Healer

"Feedback This was definitely an interesting story. The book starts off with Marlena being known as Marlena the Healer...."
What If It's Us

"So… here we are. We’ve been blessed by possibly the most anticipated collaboration from two YA authors, so how could..."
What If It's Us

"I’ve read both Becky and Adam books and What If It’s Us is a combination of the very best of..."
The Caged Queen

"The Caged Queen is the sister novel to The Last Namsara, which I absolutely adored - it has everything I..."