Review Detail

Kids Fiction 1986
You gotta love the title!
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Ill be honest. I wasnt planning on reviewing this book. I have mixed feelings about it, which may partly be because I was so excited when I saw the cover and the title. I thought it was a great concept (I mean, hey, I love reading). And the first half of the book held onto that promise nicely. I was imagining reading it to my son as he got older.

Then, the book takes a dramatic left turn into fantasy land and kind of lost me. Where the first part was about a boy who was born to read and studied hard and won a bike race because of how good a reader he was, the second part introduced a baby giant that terrorized the town and stole toys. The boy who loved to read saved the day by tricking the baby giant with books.

It felt like two entirely different books mushed together. On the one hand, real-life stuff and problem solving. On the other hand, pure fantasy. So I put it aside and decided not to review it as I dont generally like to review books I am so conflicted over (yeah, yeah, I know, I sure can get worked up over a picture book, right?).

Then a little boy in the neighborhood had a birthday party that we were invited to at the last minute. We were told not to bring a gift, but how do you do that? So I brought Born to Read. And he really, really liked it. And the point at which he began to really like it? When the baby giant appeared and the story made that detour into fairy tale land.

That reminded me that kids do read things differently than adults do. While I was jarred by the sudden shift, he was enraptured by the baby giant. So, while I still have my own personal reservations about this book (couldnt it have been split into two? it could have made a cute series even), Im including this review because Im sure there are kids out there who will love it. And the illustrations by Marc Brown are really darling and wonderfully colorful.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Sick Kids in Love

0.0 (0)
Isabel has one rule: no dating. It’s easier―...
Pawns (The Wielders of Arantha)

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Seven hundred years in the future, a powerful alien...
Perfectly Oblivious

0.0 (0)
Cameron Bates (Cam) could have almost any girl at...
By Any Means Necessary

0.0 (0)
Heart-wrenchingly honest, fans of Brandy Colbert and Nicola Yoon...
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

4.3 (1)
Annie and Lee were just children when a brutal...
Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)

0.0 (0)
Into the Crooked Place begins a gritty two-book YA...
The Rift

0.0 (0)
As corporate greed is pitted against supernatural forces, two...
The Light at the Bottom of the World (The Light at the Bottom of the World, #1)

0.0 (0)
In the last days of the twenty-first century, sea creatures...
Conceal, Don't Feel (Twisted Tales, #7)

0.0 (0)
What if Anna and Elsa never knew each other? ...

0.0 (0)
Bestselling Divergent and Carve the Mark author Veronica Roth delivers...
Bernard Pepperlin

0.0 (0)
The drowsy Dormouse from Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland...
Vicarious

0.0 (0)
Paula Stokes weaves together a series of mysteries and the...
The Bookworm Crush

0.0 (0)
This spinoff of The Replacement Crush featuring Amy and Toff...
The Unexpected Everything

0.0 (0)
Andie must learn to embrace the beauty in chaos in...
What I Like About You

0.0 (0)
Can a love triangle have only two people in it?...
The Kinder Poison

0.0 (0)
In the magical kingdom of Orkena, Zahru has long dreamed...

Latest Member Reviews

The Clique (The Clique #1)

"This is the most realistic book about girls in middle school I have ever read. it gets how girls..."
Best Friends for Never (The Clique #2)

"I read this book ages ago, but I still remember it clearly. The most memorable part is the Halloween party,..."

"I read this way back when, in middle school probably, at the pressure of my friends. I finally gave in..."

"Reader reviewed by Elizabeth This book is a great story about a "clique" or a group of friends. Massie, the..."

"Reader reviewed by Elizabeth This book is a great story about a "clique" or a group of friends. Massie, the..."

"Reader reviewed by Stephanie Melody Carver is a "normie" (human) who regrets letting her plastic surgeon father fix her "camel-hump..."

"Reader reviewed by Denise Popular and rich Massie is devastated when she learns that not only is her father's..."

"Reader reviewed by f00lishchick i think this book was really nice because it gave me the experience of what a..."
Best Friends for Never (The Clique #2)

"Reader reviewed by f00lishchick i think this bok was also good. again, i think it's funny how this clique is..."

"Reader reviewed by f00lishchick i think this book was funy. it was witty, smart, girly, and very cliquey. i like..."

"Reader reviewed by Jordana OK first I would like to address some grammatical errors, such as forgetting periods at the..."
Revenge of the Wannabes (The Clique #3)

"Reader reviewed by KyKy Hey Guys, I need help here all my friends are backstabbers! Like I am not the..."

"Reader reviewed by book_lover This book is really awsome. Lisi harrison did a great job writing the recent installment...."
Invasion of the Boy Snatchers (The Clique #4)

"Reader reviewed by Alie Invasion of the Boy Snatchers was another great book of the Clique Series. The Characters..."

"Reader reviewed by McKenzie Reviewed for Reader Views KidsMeet the Pretty Committee, Briarwood-Octavian Country Days most exclusive clique, also known..."
The Pretty Committee Strikes Back (The Clique #5)

"Reader reviewed by Lea 3 days learning about survival? The Pretty Committee does it in style, or tries to. Kristin..."

"Reader reviewed by Ashley The Clique is about a group of (stuck-up) girls who go to Octavian Country Day..."
The Pretty Committee Strikes Back (The Clique #5)

"Reader reviewed by viki The life off a rich girl in a private school going on a boy girl fieldtrip..."

"Reader reviewed by Natalie The Cliqueis the fist book of the clique series by lisi harrison the book centers around the..."