Review Detail

4.8 11
Kids Fiction 3273
creative way of using pictures and words to tell the story
Overall rating

Plot/Characters/Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Reader reviewed by johnston

The Invention of Hugo Cabaret by Brian Selznick is an outstanding book that I just couldnt put down. The story takes place in a train station in France where there is a boy named Hugo his parents died when he was young so he went to live with his uncle in the train station. When his uncle goes missing he has to keep the clocks running and steal food to keep from staving.
Hugo gets caught stealing toys by the owner of toy store and he takes his notebook. The only way to get his notebook back is to work for him. I cant tell you the rest because it might give away the ending so u will have to read to find out more.
I really liked this book. It was easy to read and it didnt take long to finish. This book is intended for middle school readers but it is good for anyone. For example my cousin read it and loved it and he is a junior in high school. This book also won the Caldecott Medal.
The only weakness in this book is some people skip the pictures and the pictures tell the story as well as the words, so you have to look at the pictures! It is also the thickness of a hairy potter book but it only has a fourth of the reading. This is a great nonfiction book to read. Brian Selznick has not written any other well-known books though. Over all this is an unbelievably good book to read and I strongly recommend it.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account