Review Detail

4.0 1
Kids Fiction 1078
Odd is Indeed Trustworthy
Overall rating

Plot/Characters/Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Reader reviewed by Booked Books

Odd Thomas does indeed live up to his name. He sees dead people. As if that wasn't peculiar enough, he also has psychic magnetism - he can sometimes find people by thinking about their faces. However, he prefers to maintain a low-key profile as a fry cook; therefore, few people - one of those people including his girlfriend, Stormy - know about his abilities. He puts his intuitive psychic gifts to good use; he doesn't just keep the dead company, he also helps them obtain justice. In this way, he is somewhat of a superhero to the dead. Therefore, when he encounters the ghost of a murdered boy, he is determined to find the killer before someone else becomes a victim. This case becomes even more complicated when it involves Stormy's friend Sherry and her sinister, anonymous stalker.

After hearing a plethora of good things about Dean Koontz, I decided that I wanted to read something by him. Imagine my surprise when this turned out to be a graphic novel. Despite the limitations of manga-style books, I found myself enjoying it all the same. Odd's character and charisma really shone through. I love Odd's chemistry with the other characters - he's humble, reliable, and easily likeable. The dialogue was simple and didn't require too much thinking, but it was a pleasant read, even if it was slightly predictable. Although the subject matters - lingering spirits, murders, and creepy stalkers - are dark, this was a light read, as many graphic novels are.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account