Review Detail

Retro-Cool Book and CD Celebrates the Music of the '50s and '60s
Overall rating

Plot/Characters/Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

This is brilliant: a 1950's jukebox-style songbook filled with lyrics by the incomparable children's book writer, Sandra Boynton, also illustrated by Boynton -- plus a CD of the songs by Boynton and Michael Ford (Boynton and Ford previously collaborated on the children's albums Rhinoceros Tap, Philadelphia Chickens, and Dog Train.)

But, wait! That is not all. Many of the songs are sung by famous singers of the 1950s and 1960s. We've got Brian Wilson with "Speed Turtle," Davy Jones (of The Monkees fame) asking to be "Your Personal Penguin," Gerry & The Pacemakers lulling us with "Mersey Lullaby," B. B. King with his "One Shoe Blues," Steve Lawrence's "Blue Moo," and many more.

While the music is irresistible, the book itself is sock-hop cool. Retro illustrations highlight the "Look While You Listen" feature. But if you want to "dig" deeper, complete lyrics plus sheet music fill the middle section. There's also an "About the Singers" part where you can learn about the musicians on the CD (including "The Uninvited Loud Precision Band"!).

How much do I love the adorable BLUE MOO? I'm not giving my copy up. Now, to get back to singing along and memorizing lyrics . . .

TM
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account