Review Detail

Three Endearing Tales about an Affectionate Alligator Pair
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

This is the fourth book of the "Mr. and Mrs. Green" beginning reader chapter book series, and it is a pure delight, full of good humor and warm affection. In the first story, Mr. Green shows off his magic trick by making Mrs. Green disappear. At first, he can't make her reappear . . .Horrors! But at last, to his immense relief, she returns. When he offers to show her another magic trick, she asks if it is dangerous. "A little," Mr. Green says. She's all for that! (Mrs. Green likes a little danger.)

The second tale is all about cookies. Mr. Green wakens from a nap to an empty house full of just-baked cookie scent and a note that appears to admonish him not to eat the awful cookies. However, when Mrs. Green returns, she shows him that the note is folded and that he has only read half of the message, which urges him to eat the delicious cookies. Mr. and Mrs. Green concoct some inventions in the last story. With them they can go anywhere they like . . .just as long as they stay together.

I recently had the pleasure of reading this book to a four-year-old girl, not just once but around twenty times in a row, at her request (and neither of us tired of it!). Frankly, I suspected this book wouldn't appeal because she is all about pink and princessy things. However, we both fell deeply in love with both Mr. and Mrs. Green immediately --- and we laughed hysterically when I began substituting a different color name every time I came across the word "green": "Mr. and Mrs. Yellow," etc.

Silly color word games or no, I highly recommend this irresistible book to both young readers and young listeners alike. It is as charmingly humorous as the well-loved Frog and Toad, George and Martha, and Poppleton early chapter books.
TM
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
In 1910, twelve-year-old Savannah lives with her widowed father on...
The Neighborhood Surprise

0.0 (0)
All the children in the neighborhood like Mrs. Fig. She...
Jet the Cat (Is Not a Cat)

0.0 (0)
Jet is not like any other cat . . ....
Clique Here: A Wish Novel

0.0 (0)
Lily loves science and hanging out with her best friend,...
Smoke and Mirrors: The Heartstone

0.0 (0)
Corbin, a powerful shapeshifting young mage, was just beginning to...
Better Together

0.0 (0)
Freaky Friday meets The Parent Trap in New York Times...
Llama Llama Meets the Babysitter

0.0 (0)
With over 30 million copies in print, Anna Dewdney's New...
City (Wheels at Work)

0.0 (0)
Delivering, collecting, transporting and recycling! Lift the flap to see...
A Season of Flowers

0.0 (0)
Michael Garland (Daddy Played the Blues) displays his impressive illustration...

0.0 (0)
The Great Storm of 1893 evicts 15-year-old Gabbie from her...
You Are Fantastic!

0.0 (0)
From Hello!Lucky, the creators of My Mom Is Magical! and...
Early One Morning

0.0 (0)
Join a little boy searching the farm for his breakfast...
Little Sap: The Magical Story of a Little Forest Family

0.0 (0)
A little tree, guided by her family circle and forest...
The Little Things: A Story about Acts of Kindness

0.0 (0)
One girl’s simple act of kindness causes ripples in her...
The Cruelest Mercy (The Kinder Poison, #2)

0.0 (0)
In this sequel to The Kinder Poison—which People magazine proclaimed...

Latest Member Reviews

The Neighborhood Surprise

"THE NEIGHBORHOOD SURPRISE is a sweet picture book about community coming together. Mrs. Fig is one of the favorite neighbors..."
Jet the Cat (Is Not a Cat)

"JET THE CAT (IS NOT A CAT) is a charming picture book about a cat who does not quite fit..."
My High School Valentine Boyfriend

"My High School Valentine Boyfriend is a swoony, sweet teen romance. Shay and Finn are matched to work together on..."
Rolling Warrior: The Incredible, Sometimes Awkward, True Story of a Rebel Girl on Wheels Who Helped Spark a Revolution

"Born in 1947, Heumann had polio at a very young age, leaving her legs and arms very weak. She was..."
Clique Here: A Wish Novel

"Lily has decided she really needs to leave her private school after an embarrassing incident with mean girl Courtenay, so..."
Ghosts Unveiled! (Creepy and True #2)

"Ghosts are something that middle school students still think might be real; we have a lot of conversations about this..."
I Can See Clearly

"Luc Ponti comes from a strong Italian family, and his father (an NCAA point guard, Princeton grad, Special Forces and..."
Fire with Fire

"Dani Rivera may excel at every part of her dragon slaying training, but she would rather focus on being normal..."
A Time of Fear: America in the Era of Red Scares and Cold War

"Starting with Vladimir Lenin's evolution in the early 1900s, Marrin gives a really complete overview of Communism and the reaction..."
Better Together

"BETTER TOGETHER is a delightful and charming YA contemporary read about sisterhood, family, and healing. Siri lives with her mother..."
El Deafo: Superpowered Edition

"This graphic novel memoir chronicles the author's experiences with hearing loss. After a childhood bout with meningitis at age 4,..."
The Unexplainable Disappearance of Mars Patel

"Mars Patel idolizes Oliver Pruitt, a powerful tech giant who also runs Pruitt Prep. Mars and his friends Toothpick, JP,..."