Review Detail

Good At Any Age
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Reader reviewed by Mairi

Hippolyta is wandering through the forest with her sister Antiope as usual, squabbling with her fellow Amazon Molpadia and looking for game to hunt, when the message arrives. They must return to their mother Queen Otrere's side right away and, though they do not know why, they do- only to find that she has borne her second son, a child illegal in the Amazon nation. By law he must be sacrificed on the alter of Artemis, but Otrere, the gentle peace queen, cannot bring herself to do so and so enlists the help of Demonassa, a mysterious priestess, and Hippolyta.

The first time I ever saw a copy of this book was when a book discussion group I was in chose it for their next title- I did not attend that meeting as I was in no way, shape, or form interested in the book. I could not escape reading it forever, though- someone somewhere liked it enough to choose it as a Battle of the Books title and I knew that if I wanted to participate I would have to read it and so, grudgingly, I did. By the end of the first action- packed chapter I was thinking that it might not be so bad after all and could hardly bear to put it down after my mother called me for dinner a half hour later.

That was years ago, and I was delighted to find that the book was still good when I picked it up this morning- while I recommend first reading it at age ten or so, its themes are univeral and can be enjoyed at any age.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

In A Flash

0.0 (0)
A riveting and dramatic story of two devoted sisters, Italian...
Welcome to California: A Little Engine that Could Road Trip

0.0 (0)
The Little Engine That Could is on the move and...
The Alpactory: Ready, Set, Go!

0.0 (0)
Welcome to the Alpactory! These wacky alpacas are here to...
I Like to Share!

0.0 (0)
Celebrate the joys of learning to share in this exuberant...
The Infinity Courts (The Infinity Courts, #1)

0.0 (0)
Westworld meets Warcross in this high-stakes, dizzyingly smart sci-fi about...

0.0 (0)
Protect the weak. Safety for all. Power without virtue is...
If Only...

0.0 (0)
Bestselling author-illustrator Mies van Hout employs vivid creatures in a...
Like a Giant

0.0 (0)
A beautiful story about imagination and taking your time to...
A Rosa Le Encantan Los Carros/Rosa Loves Cars

0.0 (0)
Averiguemos con quâe juguetes juegan Rosa y sus amigos hoy!...
The Duck Who Didn't Like Water

0.0 (0)
See a duck take to the water of friendship in...
Goodnight, Little Llama

0.0 (0)
Meet Little Llama, who is about to make a very...
The Boy and the Sea

0.0 (0)
A picture book meditation on curiosity, wonder, and finding one’s...
In Your Cozy Bed

0.0 (0)
A soothing bedtime board book from the creators of In...
Chicks Rock!

0.0 (0)
Rocker Chick overcomes stage fright to find her voice in...
The Beach (Bluey)

0.0 (0)
Read along and join Bluey's latest adventure! ...
All About Bluey

0.0 (0)
Meet Bluey! This lovable and imaginative Blue Heeler puppy is...

Latest Member Reviews

Open Minds (Book One of the Mindjack Trilogy)

"I found the book to be entirely too slow and the random inclusion of words that the author made up..."
First Light (Project Five Fifteen)

"Ah, is that how it’s going to end! Oh, the sequel can not be out soon enough!! First off,..."
Dark Seeker (Seeker #1)

"A fast-paced plot with edge-of-your seat action wasn't enough to save Dark Seeker from a lack of world-building, a weak..."
What A Boy Wants

"You would think an arrogant narrator would turn a reader off. But über cocky Sebastian is quickly accepted for who..."
What A Boy Wants

JenJen
"OK, So I have to be honest...the cover is what made me check this book out. *giggles* (I seriously wanted..."
Day Monsters

"Since my ten-year-old daughter is too shy to write a review I thought I would post what she said after..."
Her Teen Dream

"A nice teen romance book. Karin is dating her dream guy, Reese, and thinks it's a perfect romance. But when..."
Shaken

"Love this book. It is fast paste and entertaining!"
Hades Revenge

N/A
"Hades Revenge was written in 2008 as a personal experiment. Originally I was using this book as a gateway to..."
Unlovable

"This is a great book for young adults, especially those in their first relationships. I am the cover illustrator..."
Keeper of the People

"If you like Jean M. Aeul and Kathleen O`neal Gear then you will love this book! The story is fast..."
Light Fixtures

"Great read, highly recommended!"
Enchantment (Channie #1)

"Love this book. I want more and am super excited for the sequel. But, there is a diary site for..."
Sea Cutter: Book I of the Chronicles of Nathaniel Childe

"“He’s not dead!” “Please Nathaniel. It’s been two years. He’s not coming back,” my mother begged...."
Dahlia's Music

"Dahlia's Music is a well-written story of a young woman's life in Victorian England and Scotland that really conveys what..."
Tempus

"This book was so good! I loved the characters and story. It had surprises and twists. I laughed and cried...."
Vampires Rule

"Vampires Rule by K. C. Blake took me by surprise. From the moment I picked up this book I..."
Brian & Bobbi

"Reader reviewed by Jessie Hall Personally, I could care less about a bunch of overly buff men and women running..."