Review Detail

Kids Fiction 1835
The noises of the city
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

This new picture book from Marilyn Singer (and illustrated by Carll Cneut) is a winner for urban dwellers. As baby is being strolled around the city, a veritable assault of noise happens. There are horns beeping, cell phones ringing, dogs barking&a cacophony of city noises (clacking, clanging, banging, you name it).

Told in a counting down manner (10 horns beeping, 9 annoying cell phones ringing, etc.), this is also a learn-your-numbers book.

In the end, when weve counted all the way down to 1, we read that:

Then 1 bird begins to twitter

Which, of course, means that now Babys awake!

The illustrations are bright and colorful with lots of action. All the different noise words are fun to read (shrilling, bashing, mashing, yelling, pumping&) and just cry to be acted out.

This probably wouldnt be a good before bedtime read, but it would definitely be a fun read-aloud the rest of the day. Recommended for kids aged 3 and up.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Once Upon a Crime: Batman Tales

0.0 (0)
Gotham City is filled with stories--of heroes and of villains,...

0.0 (0)
With Joanie Stone's colorful illustrations and Allison Crotzer Kimmel's inspirational...
Cracked Up To Be

0.0 (0)
The high price of perfection is one 'Perfect' Parker Fadley...
Finder, Coal Mine Dog

0.0 (0)
An action-packed and heartwarming story of a dog in the...
Bo the Brave

0.0 (0)
A feisty little girl learns who the real monsters are...
Double Trouble!

0.0 (0)
Mischief is multiplied when twins are around! ...
The Morning Flower (The Omte Origins, #2)

0.0 (0)
New York Times bestselling author Amanda Hocking returns to the...
The Derby Daredevils: Kenzie Kickstarts a Team: (The Derby Daredevils Book #1)

0.0 (0)
Ever since they can remember, fifth-graders Kenzie (aka Kenzilla) and...
Nina Soni, Former Best Friend

0.0 (0)
The first title in a new series featuring a lovable,...
Nina Soni: Sister Fixer

0.0 (0)
The second title in a humorous series featuring a charming,...
The Alchemist's Shadow (Watch Hollow #2)

0.0 (0)
Having defeated the Garr, a vicious tree monster who lived...
The Lost City (The Omte Origins, #1)

0.0 (0)
Amanda Hocking, the New York Times bestselling author of The...

Latest Member Reviews

"One of the main things I loved about The Compound was Eli’s characterization. I find that most of the Young..."
The Raft

"The Raft is Robie's survival story in the waters of the Pacific. It has all that most stories has like..."
The Raft

"Initially intrigued by the undertaking that S.A. Bodeen tackled, that of making floating at sea in a dingy not only..."
The Raft

"Enjoyed this plane crash plot. Does anyone else have any suggestions of more plane crash books?"

"I love this amazing book."

"Mary, Mary quite contrary, how does your garden grow? With silver bells and cockle shells, and people all in a..."

"Reader reviewed by darklightkid The novel starts with a little boy named Eli Yanakakis being hustled into a huge..."

"Reader reviewed by Th Flashlight Reader Mary, Mary quite contrary, how does your garden grow? With silver bells and..."

"Reader reviewed by tay I picked up this book because it was reccomended for people who liked The Hunger Games,..."

"Reader reviewed by GBC After a nuclear attack six years ago, Eli and his family have been surviving underground in..."