Writing Style

N/A
Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
If ever a book hit me in the feels, it was Joshua's Island. I'm not ashamed to admit this book had me bawling like a baby.
Patrick Hodges spins a masterful tale about the ugliness of bullying and gossip, the beauty of friendship and love, and the satisfying justice of retribution. His characters are extremely well written and brought to life so beautifully you can't help but fall in love with them. Your heart aches for their every hurt and jumps for joy at their triumphs.
The story is told from the two perspectives of Joshua and Eve. Sometimes I find different POV's jarring, but this is not the case with this book. The story line flows effortlessly and the POV's help you gain more understanding of the suffering and helplessness they feel at the hands of their tormentors. More than once I had to reach for my box of Kleenex, and with my jaded heart that is a difficult thing to accomplish. Kudos Mr. Hodges!
Once I started reading this book I could not put it down. I especially loved the secondary character of Kelsey, the little spitfire who befriends Joshua and Eve. I understand Patrick Hodges next book centers on her story and I personally cannot wait to read that.
This book is a must read for all young people and adults alike. I cannot emphasize that enough. It is a powerful message about the consequences of bullying for both the victim and the perpetrators. 5 out of 5 shiny stars. Job well done Mr. Hodges!!!
Good Points
Beautifully written.
Wonderfully real characters.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account