Review Detail

Kids Fiction 1025
GOOD Book
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

I love books that will break the status quo - and It Isn't Rude to be Nude does just that. Unashamed body positivity will always be a hot topic.

The words are big, bold, and easy for children to read. The pages are kept short and simple. However, I would have enjoyed more consistency with the wording/terms. The author mixes silly words in with anatomically correct terms. While I understand that these are "fun" words, it's not doing the story any justice in desexualizing bodies and having honest, to the point conversations with kids.

Again, I love that the story is body positive, and while there is no shame in having different bodies, I cannot get onboard with it "not being rude." It isn't rude, but it isn't always safe or respectful either. I want my children to be comfortable in their bodies, no doubt, but I don't want to encourage the message that it is okay to go outside completely naked in January or go to the grocery store in their birthday suit. Bodies being private should be a strong point.

The illustrations depict a variety of body types, ages and skin colors in water-color on a white background. They are simple and to the point, but not my style.

My children loved reading this story and cannot wait to read it again.
It is a very good book about body positivity that can open the door to more powerful conversations with your children about consent, diversity, and the like.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account