Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
This is actually my first novel by Stork. I’ve heard many good things about his books and I must say, after reading Irises, I definitely understand why.

Kate and Mary are two sisters whose lives get spun around by the untimely death of their father. Not only do they have to deal with issues like most girls their age (school, future, etc), they also have a huge responsibility in the care of their mother who has been in a vegetative state for years. This is a huge burden on the girls, both financially and emotionally, and something that cannot be simply swept under the rug.

I have to commend Stork on his amazing writing in this book. Not only does it add a tone to the story that makes it easy to be hooked into the story, but it also gives each and every character (especially the sisters) their own unique voice. Each character is fleshed out incredibly well throughout the novel and there are no holes or questions when it comes to understand a certain character’s actions and/or motives.

I have to admit that this story is more heart-wrenching than I was led to believe by its synopsis. It deals with a heavy topic and has huge undertones of religion that cannot be ignored. If I have to say anything that I noted a little sub-par in this book, it would be the promised romance. It seemed a bit… lacking, but it was still there. Although a little slow to start, this story is a great read for Contemporary readers, as well as fans of Francisco X. Stork.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account