Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Nothing frightens me more than rotting, brain-hungry zombies. So color me (unpleasantly) surprised when I realized Sherrilyn Kenyon’s INFINITY is chock full of these undead, oozing monsters. Rather than cringing in fear, however, Kenyon’s witty and action-packed writing had me raucously flipping each page to be sure those moaning freaks got what’s coming to ‘em!

INFINITY is the first book in Kenyon’s Chronicles of Nick series, which focuses on – you guessed it – Nick. Nick Gautier is just your average 14 year-old, attending a prestigious private school on a scholarship, hoping to escape the attention of the preppy meathead jocks who insist on making Nick’s life hell. Turns out Nick is not so average, and there are creatures actually from hell that are out to get him. Nick’s the descendant of one horrendously evil supernatural being, and a number of preternatural powers are trying to prevent Nick from living up to his wicked family legacy. Zombies are just one of many bloodthirsty monstrosities that Nick will have to deal with as his eyes are opened to the paranormal world around him and his place in it.

The Chronicles of Nick are one hundred percent the male-oriented answer to the Twilight and Mortal Instruments series. I know I’m coming late to the party (this book was first published in 2010), but better late than never! With vampires, werewolves, and demons galore, this has all the best parts of an urban paranormal fantasy, but without the overriding love story that gets in the way of all the cool supernatural action. There is a love story in this book, but it’s small, and Kenyon somehow knows pretty well what goes through a guy’s mind when he’s interested in a lady. The setting of New Orleans totally helps with the spooky vibe, and has achieved this vibe so well, I’m second guessing ever going back to the voodoo-loving town!

With Kenyon’s snarky voice, hilarious pop culture references, and demonic hijinks that continue right up to the last page, INFINITY and the Chronicles of Nick aren’t to be missed.
Good Points
The male-oriented answer to the Twilight and Mortal Instruments series.
Hilarious pop culture references mixed in with nonstop paranormal action.
Urban fantasy that's not overshadowed by romance.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
September 15, 2013
I was never much interested in this series, but maybe I should give it a second chance. Great review :]
1 results - showing 1 - 1