Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 174
A sequel that kept me glued to the pages, now that’s hard to pull off, and Lunetta did it well!
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What I Loved: I loved seeing Amy back in the wild, surviving on her own with such skill. That was easily the best part of the the first book, just being in her head as she did what she needed to in order to survive. You get a good amount of that here, too, before she’s forced to dive back into the world of New Hope. Yes, much of the book is of Amy in Fort Black like how she was in New Hope, although both places are completely different, but I actually enjoyed all the sides of the story – the After, New Hope, Fort Black and I think Lunetta did a great job of balancing all three environments and mixing them together to form a cohesive story. I also think Amy is a fantastic main character, with such strength and such a big heart, especially given the circumstances. I think the strongest element Lunetta had in this duology was Amy.

Left Me Wanting More: I wasn’t too keen on the romance. There is a sort of love triangle going on, but thankfully, it’s not the main focus of the story and rightly so as it didn’t sway me either way. Both guys had their strong points and were key players at different parts of Amy’s lives, but I didn’t really see her with either one. I’m glad that there was so much more to the story than the romance, and I enjoyed Amy and Baby’s relationship more anyways. I wish that had been explored more in this book as much as in the first book. I’ll admit, the build-up kind of took too long, and the ending was too easily attained, but I still enjoyed the flow of the story nonetheless.

Final Verdict: I really enjoyed this book and this series so much, more than I thought I would. I love it when that happens. I think Lunetta does an excellent job of capturing your attention right away with this quasi-realistic, post-apocalyptic world and she definitely keeps your attention until the very end. With a amazing heroine and a riveting plot, this series has definitely made its way onto my favorites shelf.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account