Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins publishers and Netgalley.)
This is book 2 in the ‘Slide’ series, and kicks off 6 months after the end of ‘Slide’.
16-year-old Sylvia (Vee) is still having nightmares about the car crash that killed her boyfriend Zane 6 months ago, but now she’s got other problems to deal with.
Waking in the middle of the night to find herself driving a car, she veers off the road and crashes the car, only to realise that this isn’t a dream or a slide – it’s really happening. Flagging down a passing car, Vee realises to her horror that it’s a boy called Scotch, who tried to rape her at her prom the previous year, and he’s got her ex-best-friend comatose in the back of the car. Scotch offers her a ride but she refuses and instead flags down another car for a ride home.

The next day Scotch is spreading rumours at school – not only that he had sex with Samantha (the drunk girl in his car), but also that Vee came onto him! Because of this, Vee and Samantha come up with a plan for revenge, a plan that ends very badly for all concerned.
Worse though, Vee is still experiencing moments when someone else slides into her, her best friend Rollins seems to be ditching her for another girl, just when she’s started developing feelings for him, and her mother’s long-lost sister has also turned up on their doorstep for some unknown reason.
Is aunt Lydia the other slider? What really happened to Scotch at Lookout point? Does Rollins really have feelings for this other girl? And is aunt Lydia really here to ruin their lives?

I was hesitant to read this after reading ‘Slide’, but I had a review copy so I thought I would give it a go, and I’m really glad I did!

Vee is the same in this book, a bit naïve, and her logic is seriously lacking, but thankfully the story made up for that this time.
When Vee wakes up and realises that she crashed her father’s car ‘cause she was driving in the middle of the night when she knew she fell asleep in her room, she immediately thinks that someone must have ‘slid’ into her and caused her to do this. I have to say that for me this was a bit of a leap – she doesn’t even consider that maybe she was sleepwalking! Considering that she doesn’t know anyone else who can do what she does, and considering how long it took her to work out how to influence and control people while she has ‘slid’ inside of them, someone else sliding into her wouldn’t have been my first guess.

Anyway, the story picks up and we have mystery after mystery, we have twists and turns, we have several suspects for who the slider might be, and we even have another murder on our hands.
This time though the story was interesting, and it was gripping! The twists and turns were good, and I found myself desperate to know what would happen next! I loved how the story kept changing, and how many different pieces of the puzzle there were, and I also loved that we got a better romance this time too! Thankfully this one seemed to move a lot quicker too, nowhere near as much waffling in this one, and I steamed through it. I also didn’t guess at a lot of events in this book which was great!
Have to say that for anyone who is cautious about reading this one after ‘Slide’ this is much better, I’m even hoping that there will be another book in the series, especially after the revelations in this one!
Overall; a gripping mystery/ paranormal thriller.
7.5 out of 10.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account