Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I really wanted to like this book. The cover is mysterious and draws you in and Nova’s writing is artistic and unique, but that’s where the praise stops. The story basically makes no sense. There’s direction or meaning and everything seemed so random and pointless to me. I seriously struggled to get through this book, my OCD about having to finish a book whether good or bad getting to me, otherwise I would’ve dropped it after the first couple of chapters. I was stuck on this book for quite awhile, often wondering if I should finish it or give up on it, but like I said, I had to know it ends. The end wasn’t even really an ending.

This book is filled with idealizations of Ruby by her sister Chloe, a weird and mysterious event involving a seemingly dead body, and a town that was apparently obsessed with Ruby like she was a goddess or something. Nova filled this book with the most random thoughts and events in such a confusing way, I honestly couldn’t see where she was going with this story. Even though I finished the book, I was mostly skimming through the pages after about half way because I just wanted to get it over with. I guess that might mean I didn’t really read it, but honestly, I don’t know how I could’ve gotten through it otherwise.

The characters were uninteresting, to say the least, truly adding nothing to the plot or my interest. The story was not only slow and confusing, but what was supposed to be eerie and awe-inspiring turned out to be dull and ordinary. I found no appeal to this book whatsoever, maybe because I’m not into that artistic, conceptual writing that’s supposed to be astract and mean a hundred different things. I really don’t know what else to say except that this wasn’t for me. I have to say, I’m so happy I won this in a giveaway because I would’ve kicked myself in the butt if I had actually paid money for this book. Sorry Nova Ren Suma, your writing is just not for me.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account