Young Adult Fiction 840
A story about friendship during the pandemic
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I was skeptical that a book with the pandemic as its plot wouldn't feel a bit contrived and like it was capitalizing on the pandemic. I was pleasantly surprised that I MISS YOU, I HATE THIS was so much more than just a book about the pandemic.

Parisa and Gabriela are best friends from two very different worlds. Parisa grew up with strict Iranian parents and had a privileged financial life. Gabriela grew up with two moms in an apartment and was always worried about money. Despite their different upbringings, the girls were inseparable until the pandemic forced them to be.

Even though the pandemic is a part of the story, it is not the main plotline. It's more of a catalyst for the other stories to develop. The story focuses on Gabriela and Parisa's friendship and follows them as they determine who they are beyond their friendship and what they want from life. As I read this story, I found myself tearing up a few times, which proves how deeply connected I felt to the characters. Both Gabriela and Parisa were likable and relatable and as a reader you wanted to see them move on from the pandemic and thrive.

The story is told from both Gabriela and Parisa's perspectives which lets the reader understand each character more in-depth. The use of text messages, emails and video calls gives an additional peek into the girls friendship.

There are quite a few sub-plots as well that were just as compelling as the main story line. And each minor character and story added to the overall growth and development of Parisa and Gabriela.

I MISS YOU, I HATE THIS is a realistic portrayal of what life was like for high school seniors during the early months of the pandemic. However, don't just classify it as a pandemic story. This is a story of friendship that is worth a read.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account