Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Emma Freke is looking for her joylah her "groove zone," the place where she fits in. The problem is, Emma just doesnt seem to fit in anywhere. At 12 years old, she is nearly six feet tall and her bright red hair seems to be getting redder. But, worst of all, her name is Emma Freke. Say it slowly, and it sounds like Am a Freak.

Emma lives with her single mom, Donatella, and Italian grandfather Nonno on the floor above her familys bead shop. She is convinced that she must have skipped over childhood and turned right into an adult. She doesnt look or act like any of the other kids at school and she spends more time running the family bead shop than her mostly absent mom. Emma starts to believe that she must have been adopted when she gets an unexpected invitation to the Freke Family Reunion in New Thule, Wisconsin. Finally, Emma will meet her dad's side of the family and maybe, just maybe, a place where she fits in. But Emma soon learns that the Wisconsin Frekes aren't at all what she expected, and maybe shes a lot more normal than she had thought!

I really enjoyed this book. Elizabeth Atkinson's style is refreshing and her sense of humor makes this book really fun to read. The characters are smart and independent. It is easy to really relate to them, and feel what they are going through. Once I started reading this book, I couldnt put it down! Winner of the Moonbeam Gold Medal Award for Pre-teen fiction, I really recommend this book to anyone who wants a good, quick read!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account