Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What I loved: How to Love captivated me right from the very beginning. Reena's story bounces back and forth between the time that Sawyer was her boyfriend to the present time--she has his baby and he just reappeared back into her life. I enjoyed this approach because it gives readers plenty of back story without the pace bogging down.

Reena's character may be a tough one for some people to like. I found her honest and realistic. And I can't help but love Sawyer. As many issues as he has, he is still really likable. I think readers will be pulling for these two to make it.

I can't fail to mention the supporting characters as well. I adored Reena's friend Shelby, she is a true friend and seems like a lot of fun to be around. Reena also struggles with her relationship with her father, especially since she found out she was pregnant. Their relationship is an important part of the story and packs a pretty emotional punch.

What left me wanting more: Only one thing bothered me in this story and I'm sure it's just a personal preference. When Reena is talking about Hannah she often refers to her as "the baby." I wish her name, Hannah, was used more often. This stuck out to me and is a small issue in an overall fantastic book.

Final Verdict: Katie Cotugno takes on some heavy issues--teen drinking, drugs, and teen pregnancy and she does so in a way that is honest and realistic. None of the issues are glorified and readers get an honest picture of a difficult situation. I think fans of contemporary authors like John Green, Jessi Kirby, and Trish Doller will enjoy Katie Cotugno's debut.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account