Review Detail

4.8 13
Young Adult Fiction 182
Emerson Cole. Amazing female protagonist!
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Someone please pinch me. I'm pretty sure I've died and gone to book heaven and, if Hourglass is what I can look forward to, I'm not coming back! Wow, just wow. I apologize in advance for all the rambling that will ensue. This book is so fantastic, so amazing, that I just cannot seem to express exactly how much I loved it. I'll try though, for you.

First of all, there are the characters. Emerson Cole takes her rightful place among my all time favorite female characters. She's sassy, she's fiery, and the best part is that Emerson isn't taken in by bedroom eyes and vivid smiles. Oh sure, she might notice them. However if you want to be a part of Emerson's life, you'd better be prepared to hold your own on the battleground of wit. The snark that comes out her mouth so naturally cracked me up, and I loved the chemistry between her and the other characters. Then there is Michael. Smooth, put together, and off limits for Emerson. The tension between them just crackles deliciously. Finally, and my favorite, the beautifully broken bad boy, Kaleb. This boy is a mess, but wow does he own it. In this humble reader's opinion, he is the only person who can stand their own next to Miss Emerson Cole.

The Science Fiction portion of Hourglass comes into play in Emerson's unique ability. She can see ripples from the past, and it's not doing her any favors in the normalcy department. I could definitely see that Myra McEntire had done her research on time travel. Everything that is presented is completely plausible, and as a regular reader of Science Fiction I found that amazing. In fact, this whole story is blended together so perfectly, so seamlessly, that I could almost believe I'd be walking down the street and come face to face with Emerson, or any one of her unwanted guests. Truth be told, the web that is woven in Hourglass is one that I wasn't able to pull out of, and I really didn't want to.

I know I'm rambling now, so I'll finish off with a last thought. I have read over 100 books so far this year, and sometimes they start to blend together. However, after finishing Hourglass, I am reminded that there are gems out there that stand out. Myra McEntire has written a stunner of a novel. Complete with realistic characters, gorgeously blended science fiction and paranormal elements, and one heck of a story line, this is a book that you need to read. Buy it.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account