Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Stanley Yelnats is a young teenage boy who was sent to Camp Green Lake located in Texas. This camp isn’t any ordinary camp, but a juvenile detention camp for young teenage boys. In the book Holes, written by Louis Sacher, the boys who are sent there have to dig large holes every day, being told that it will build up their “character”. Stanley says he was sent there because of his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing great-great-grandfather, his great-great-grandfather was cursed by a gypsy after he had broken a promise long ago; a curse that would be passed down to all generations after him. In Camp Green Lake Stanley learns things slowly, made new friends, and understands how things go at the camp. But there was one thing Stanley couldn’t understand, out of all things to do in a detention camp, why were they digging holes? He soon realizes that this wasn’t an ordinary “character developing” juvenile camp, but instead, the boys were digging for something, something valuable and important. Stanley slowly pieces the clues together and digs up this mystery hole and tries to break the curse of his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing great-great-grandfather.
Holes is a novel you will definitely want to read again if you have the chance, the book acts like sticky glue, once you pick it up, you will never be able to let it go until you’ve finished it. A few reasons why is because: the book is very unpredictable; opposite things happen from what you’re thinking will happen. Louis Sacher made the plot simple yet interesting so the book wouldn’t confuse readers. The characters in the story are believable and reasonable; they act and do things really realistically and don’t do impossible, beyond supernatural tasks. Characters are also dynamic, changing throughout the story in order for them to adapt and survive in the harsh conditions facing both physical and mental challenges. A few characters that show progression throughout the story are Stanley Yelnats (Caveman) began as a young, naïve, spoiled city boy into a wise, mature, independent teenager. Another character Hector Zeroni (Zero), who went from a young unsocial, blame taking boy, into a kid with friends and self-confidence.
Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 5, the book was very attracting and mysterious, but sometimes it seemed repetitive. The plot, simple yet intriguing, characters being dynamic, believable, the use of language/dialect was perfect. I really enjoyed reading this book, mainly because for me it was adventurous, and unpredictable. In the end, it was like all Disney movies, a happily ever after ending. I would recommend this novel for people who love fictional and adventurous stories.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account