Review Detail

Poem for Black Children
Overall rating

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Learning Value

In a time that's full of so much hate and violence, we need a book that focuses on pride and happiness while lifting spirits. HOLD THEM CLOSE does just that and it's a touching and inspiring nod to black children everywhere. It teaches them to remember their ancestry while standing tall with pride while holding the good close to their heart.

HOLD THEM CLOSE is a lyrical story that is just what we need during these trying times. The real photos and vibrant colors add texture to the book and by that I mean it brings the poetic writing to life. In the back of the book, there is a background with timelines with more information on the historical events. It ends with "Remember and never let go" and the power this sentence has brings goosebumps to my arms. There's also a note from both the author and illustrator that talk about how this book came to be and how it started as a poem.

Final Verdict: With Black history weaved into the heart-warming poem, I can't recommend this story enough. It belongs in schools and households everywhere.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account