Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Considering I've loved Harry Potter for ten years, I've had a lot of time to think through which book was my favorite. Without a doubt, 'Phoenix' is it. The story incorporates the most realistic Harry that we've seen in any of the books prior, and even in 'Prince' and 'Hallows'. Harry's character traits are pivotal ones in this novel: his anger, angst, but also his love and passion, and his discovery of both danger and love. One plot point in the book is Harry's heavy crush on Cho Chang, a popular Ravenclaw student. Harry has had a crush on Cho since the beginning of his fourth year at Hogwarts, and they date in this book, and Harry has his first kiss with Cho. Another romance in this book is one much less important, but is one recognized by Harry: Ginny's relationship with Michael Corner, one that confuses Harry and that Ginny takes because, as revealed in 'Prince', Hermione told her to move past Harry. Harry's relationship with Cho goes downhill, and the two breakup, partly due to Cho's feeling that Harry doesn't like her, and partly because Harry loses interest, and worries that Cho was using Harry as bait to receive information about Cedric Diggory, an aspect played up in the film adaption.
The main conflict in the story is that Lord Voldemort is on the rise, and Harry thinks he has kidnapped his godfather Sirius Black, while word of a prophecy looms. Harry's choices are very realistic, and he uses the help of Ron, Hermione, Neville, Ginny, and his new friend (and my favorite character) Luna Lovegood, to break into the Ministry of Magic.
The darkness is incredibly present in this novel, especially thanks to the characters Dolores Umbridge and the newly-prison-escapee Bellatrix Lestrange. Harry is practically tortured by Umbridge, whose idea of detention is having her students be put into excruciating pain.
I read this book a long time ago, but felt writing a review would be nice, considering the final film is coming out in 2 weeks exactly.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account