N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Reader reviewed by GRgenius

The Harry Potter series casts its magical spell once again in the second installment, 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets".  We find Harry experiencing (notice I didn't say enjoying) his summer at the Dursley's home...shut off from the wizarding world entirely.  Now, I don't just mean removed from Higwart's; we are talking total cut off.  His friends are not even writing to him, leaving Harry wondering if he has been forgotten.  All seems to be going along the same lines of mistreatment until an unexpected visitor arrives. 

Hmmm...perhaps arrives is not the right word, let's go with shows up.  Dobby, the house elf to a darker wizard family, has arrived to save Harry Potter's life.  The only way this can be done is if Harry promises not to go back to Hogwart's.  Might as well be asking him not to breathe, so of course he does not agree.  Mayhem ensues, but good triumphs once again with Harry's escape to the Weasley residence.  Harry is welcomed with open arms and soon the tricky trio are back together...in Diagon Alley for school supplies!  This year, Gilderoy Lockhart, author of many books and heart throb to the ladies, will be teaching the Defense Against the Dark Arts course....can't wait to see how that turns out (well, I know, I read it....but you may not have!).  While purchasing the necessities, an unexpected, and frankly unwelcome, meeting with Lucious and Draco Malfoy follows, leaving all with a bitter taste in their mouths. 

Alas, summer is over, and it is time to return to Hogwart's!  But, what's this?  They can't get on the platform to board the train?  In what should have been an ideal return to his true home away from home, Harry is met with far more obstacles than anticipated.  From wild flying cars, to the Whomping Willow, to frightening new abilities....maybe Harry should have heeded Dobby's warning?  Will Harry be able to save the school from the newest evil unleashed?  Will he survive the encounter?

I'm not one to spoil the ending for potential readers and so I will close my review (spoilers are lurking in my text!).  All I can say is that if you were a fan of the first book, you will love the second and anticipate the third.....happy reading!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account