Review Detail

Dogs are always the answer!
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

While Snoopy wakes up with a smile on his facing, dancing and being happy about his day, the morning does not go so well for Charlie Brown. He has forgotten that it is "Show and Smile" day at school. Since Charlie is generally anxious, he has trouble coming up with things in his life that are completely carefree as he walks to school with his friend Linus. Sure, Linus is always comforted by his blanket, but Charlie's favorite things often have downsides; he loves baseball, but does poorly at it, and flying kite often ends with trees eating them. While Snoopy dances on unperturbed, Lucy tells him he needs counseling, and makes Charlie more nervous than ever, despite his other friends' words of reassurance. The whole Peanuts gang talks about their favorite things, and Charlie hopes that the bell will ring before his turn. It doesn't, and the beginning of his presentation doesn't go well. As he steps to the window to get some air, he sees Snoopy and Woodstock dancing on the sidewalk, and is finally able to share what makes him smile... Snoopy dancing.
Good Points
It hadn't occurred to me what a perfect spokesperson Charlie Brown is for tweens today, who share Charlie's apprehension about the world around them. Charlie's friends are not anxious, and offer reliable ways that they keep a happy outlook; Linus is philosophical, Lucy is toxically positive, and Marcie is calming reassuring that everything will be okay. None of these strategies really help, but Snoopy's carefree dancing, ala a Baby Boomer who is retired and has an assured pension, that is able to alleviate Charlie's anxiety. And really, who can argue against dogs making us feel that all is right with the world?

The illustrations capture the essence of Schulz's work, but are clearly taken from the television show on which this is based. They are brightly colored, and offset nicely against the slightly larger than normal text. This is a good length for reading aloud, but would also be good for newly independent readers who are fans of Snoopy.

The paper dolls included are of Charlie, Snoopy, Woodstock, and Franklin, who only shows up in one or two panels in the book. They are a fun addition, but I'm not sure how much modern children really play with paper dolls.

Gravel's Puppy in My Head may seem like an odd companion to this book, but Charlie Brown could certainly use some mindfulness training, since Snoopy is clearly not the puppy that lives in his brain! Kupiel's Elephant's Big Solo discusses performance anxiety, and Reynold's The Big Worry Day offers a modern take on Charlie's problem. Of course, reading collections of Snoopy comics would probably be even more helpful in fostering a positive mindset!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
November 16, 2022
i want to share to the whole world how Dr Kachi the Great of all the Spell Caster, that helped me reunite my marriage back, my Ex Husband broke up with me 3months ago, I have been trying to get him back ever since then, i was worried and so confused because i love him so much. I was really going too much depressed, he left me with my kids and just ignored me constantly. I have begged him for forgiveness through text messages for him to come back home and the kids crying and miss their dad but he wont reply, I wanted him back desperately. we were in a very good couple and yet he just ignores me and get on with his life just like that, so i was looking for help after reading a post of Dr Kachi on the internet when i saw a lady name SHARRON testified that Dr Kachi cast a Pure love spell to stop divorce. and i also met with other, it was about how he brought back her Ex lover in less than 24 hours at the end of her testimony she dropped his email, I contacted Dr Kachi via email and explained my problem to Dr Kachi and he told me what went wrong with my husband and how it happen, that he will restored my marriage back, and to my greatest surprise my Ex husband came back to me, and he apologized for his mistake, and for the pain he caused me and my children. Then from that day our marriage is now stronger than how it was before, Dr Kachi you're a real spell caster, you can also get your Ex back and live with him happily: Contact Email [email protected] his Number CALL/ WHATSAPP: +1 (209) 893-8075 Visit his Website: https://drkachispellcast.wixsite.com/my-site
J
julianadavis877
1 results - showing 1 - 1