Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I was lucky enough to meet author Jessi Kirby at a YA panel held at my local library. I was really excited to read her latest novel GOLDEN after reading the blurb in the June/July issue of JUSTINE.

This story engaged me right from the start. The whole premise of a teen who tries so hard to be 'perfect' in every way while missing out of taking chances changes once Parker finds the journal of a local urban legend. Her English teacher has students write in a journal in their senior year and then he mails it back to them ten years later. I had a college professor who did something similar only we had to write a letter to our 'future' self. I admit it was kind of strange and yet fascinating to read a letter from my past. But imagine a journal?

Parker is kind of like Robert Frost, the famous poet, that she was named after. She has a dreamy soul but doesn't want to disappoint her mother who wants her to get into Stanford. Parker's best friend, Kat is the exact opposite. She seizes moments and tries to get Parker to loosen up. Then there's Trevor, a guy Parker's crushed on since middle grade.

This is part mystery, part suspense, and romance. The journal entries opened up the possibility that not all happened to be golden with local urban legend couple. This is where Parker starts to arc as a character. She struggles with what she's done--taking a journal that she wasn't supposed to--and feelings of searching for the real truth. Add the road trip where it's up to Parker to take Kat's advice with the guy she's dreamed about.

Everything about this story is golden. Readers will be swept off their feet as they follow Parker's choices to a satisfying conclusion.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account