Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Going Underground is a story that deals with something that I do not have much knowledge on - which is sending nude pics via your cell phone. I have never done anything of the sort and can honestly say that I don’t know anyone that has done it either, unless you count the celebrities that have been outed on gossip websites for doing that very thing. So, I went into this story a little blind.

Having said that, I can say that this admission in no way affected my ability to settle into this story and empathize with its characters. Del, though now a convicted felon because of his participation in what I’ve described above, is a character that is impossible not to like and one that you want to read more about. He is very personable and, even with a lack of experience like my own, it was easy to fall into his story and share every emotion with him. At times, his fate does almost seem a little hopeless, but you can’t help but to continue cheering him on through the entire story.

The story itself alternated between the present and three years before, around the time “the incident” happened. Even with the skipping around, the story flowed well and there was never any moments of confusion to contend with. Though this is about a topical issue, the story is never just black and white - Susan Vaught seems to instead give us many grey areas that, in my opinion, is much more fascinating than just making everything very plain and simple. This is an incredible read that puts light on a lesser known and more personal side of an issue that is not only dealt with legally, but politically as well.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account