Review Detail

Excellent Resource on the History of Black Travel
Overall rating

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Learning Value

Victor Hugo Green was a postal carrier in the first half of the 20th century, who was fascinated when Black Americans started to obtain cars and use them for travel to avoid racial prejudice on trains. Sadly, at the time, there were still issues that Blacks faced when traveling, so Victor and his wife put together a guide that they published in 1936 along with George Smith. While publication was suspended during World War II, Green persisted, and eventually moved from using his apartment to an office for the company not long after a Black standard oil executive was shown purchasing 5,000 copies to be handed out at Esso gas stations. Green retired from postal work and started a travel agency, always hoping that some day there would be no need for his guide. Sadly, he died in 1960, right before the Civil Rights movement started gaining more ground. The last Green Book was published in 1966.
Good Points
This would be an excellent title to read aloud to a wide variety of ages of children; it's lengthy enough to have a lot of good information, but not so long that it would not hold children's interest. The pictures are brightly colored and show a wide variety of Black Americans traveling. I enjoyed the fact that it talked about sports figures and entertainers along with ordinary citizens and described the problems that were faced at the time. The explanation of "sun down towns" is a great one for children who are unfamiliar with the concept.

The timelines, notes, and further resources will be very helpful for those wanting to look into more information about this interesting publication. From Dawson and Harris's 2021 Opening the Road: Victor Hugo Green and His Green Book to Taylor's 2022 Overground Railroad: The Green Book and the Roots of Black Travel in America, there are a handful of books covering this topic. For first hand views of the book, I'm entralled with the New York Public Library online collection of digitized versions of the guides. (https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/collections/the-green-book#/?tab=navigation) I think it's especially nice that the notes at the end of the book incorporate some of the clip art from the original green books!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
November 16, 2022
i want to share to the whole world how Dr Kachi the Great of all the Spell Caster, that helped me reunite my marriage back, my Ex Husband broke up with me 3months ago, I have been trying to get him back ever since then, i was worried and so confused because i love him so much. I was really going too much depressed, he left me with my kids and just ignored me constantly. I have begged him for forgiveness through text messages for him to come back home and the kids crying and miss their dad but he wont reply, I wanted him back desperately. we were in a very good couple and yet he just ignores me and get on with his life just like that, so i was looking for help after reading a post of Dr Kachi on the internet when i saw a lady name SHARRON testified that Dr Kachi cast a Pure love spell to stop divorce. and i also met with other, it was about how he brought back her Ex lover in less than 24 hours at the end of her testimony she dropped his email, I contacted Dr Kachi via email and explained my problem to Dr Kachi and he told me what went wrong with my husband and how it happen, that he will restored my marriage back, and to my greatest surprise my Ex husband came back to me, and he apologized for his mistake, and for the pain he caused me and my children. Then from that day our marriage is now stronger than how it was before, Dr Kachi you're a real spell caster, you can also get your Ex back and live with him happily: Contact Emai: [email protected] his Number CALL/ WHATSAPP: +1 (209) 893-8075 Visit his Website:: https://drkachispellcast.wixsite.com/my-site
J
julianadavis877
1 results - showing 1 - 1