Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Let me just get this out before I say anything else: this series is addicting.

Now, having said that, I think Goddess Interrupted, or rather just this whole series is the type of books that people are either going to love or hate. If you’re really in to pick it apart, you can. You’ll find that it’s a really, really loose and watered-down version of mythology, and that a lot of scenes basically contradict the basics and the core of the Hades and Persephone myth.

But if you’ve enjoyed The Goddess Test, Goddess Interrupted will not disappoint. It picks up right after The Goddess Test ends, and follows Kate’s experiences becoming an Immortal, and deals with the problems that Calliope cause as a result of Hades and Kate in the first book. It’s definitely action-packed, and there are new things, new twists, new surprises thrown at you chapter by chapter.

Goddess Interrupted is addicting in the sense that there’s never a dull moment. Like I said, it’s very action-packed. Things keep happening. A problem will be resolved, and a new one will appear. Carter throws curve-ball after curve-ball at you, and the ending will leave you breathless. The way she does this – the long string of problems and semi-solutions – makes you really curious to know what happens next, and after finishing, you’ll want to know what happens in the next book; you’ll want to keep reading.

But like I said, you’re either going to hate it or love it. Or maybe you’ll be a little of both, like me.

One of the things I hated (yes, hated) in Goddess Interrupted was the slut shaming. I mean, okay, I get that Ava’s Aphrodite and Aphrodite’s the goddess of love. But does that automatically make it okay to label her as a slut?

And Persephone. Persephone had to marry Henry. Then Henry fell in love with her and, unfortunately, she didn’t feel the same for him. So she left him for Adonis. First, I just wanted to point out that – this happened in The Goddess Test – isn’t this kind of like what happened with Kate, Henry, and James? James liked Kate, but Kate didn’t feel the same for him so she rejected him for Henry.

So, apparently, it’s perfectly fine to leave one guy for another if you don’t love them, as long as you’re the main character. In that case, it’s perfectly fine. After all, you can’t control who you fall in love with. But it isn’t okay to leave one guy for another if you don’t love them, especially when it’s the main character’s future husband that you left. Because you’re supposed to not hurt him/fall in love with him/leave you/whatever Kate wants Persephone to do (I honestly don’t know), because then you’re thought of as a slut, a target, and a threat.

Uh… okay?

Kate automatically sees Persephone as a threat. Of course, she doesn’t seem to realize that Persephone’s the one that wanted to leave Henry, and that she’s perfectly happy where she is doing what she does and spending endless days with Adonis. And I just don’t get why Carter had to go throw in all this extra drama that really just wasn’t necessary in Goddess Interrupted. Not every single second book in a YA paranormal romance series needs some girl vs. girl drama over a boy. Focus on the mythology, and the whole brewing war against the Titans and I’ll be a happy reader.

Then there’s Henry. Clearly, I’m the minority when I say this, but to me Henry’s a bastard. A cold-hearted, confused, and a miserable bastard. He still has feelings for Persephone. And Kate. Both. M’kay. I get it. But then he has to go make Kate feel so hopeful – as if he doesn’t have any feelings for Persephone anymore. That whole touching scene towards the end was something that should’ve been done at the beginning. The very, very beginning, in which it was clear to anyone that Kate was feeling hurt.

I’m not saying that it’s entirely Henry’s fault and that Kate’s not acting way too co-dependent and whiny for her own good, but when she was looking for reassurance, he should’ve gave her some reassurance that his feelings were still there instead of running away and wallowing in his own self-pity. Because that made it seem like he was pushing her away – as if he didn’t care for her at all. Then he continues pushing her away, then pulling her back to his side only to push her away again.

And Kate lets him.

WHY? Kate is a co-dependent, clingy, and whiny goody-two-shoes. Henry’s a cold-hearted, miserable bastard. Their whole relationship has ‘doomed’ stamped all over it in large, bright red letters.

But despite all my raging and ranting, I did enjoy Goddess Interrupted. It’s fast paced, and there’s never a dull moment. I’ll admit, the wannabe cliffhanger ending was a total letdown for me, as I was expecting something a bit… more. I was expecting it to end in a bit more of a bang, and not the whimper it actually ended with. But it was okay. The action scenes were my favorite, and much better than the little-to-no action from The Goddess Test. We got to see a bit more of the other gods, though there’s much less of James and much more of Kate’s mom. There’s also some more of Pogo, too (he’ll always be my favorite character); curve-balls; semi-answers.

I’m more on the rant and rage side, but the bottom line is, some people are going to rant and rage at Kate and Henry. Others aren’t going to notice, and are going to love Goddess Interrupted. It all depends on the reader.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account